Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Praise for Sam Strano

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well now you are enjoying your car more. There is a road racing section that does have a wealth of info. Hang out there cause mitchntx is also a driver and can help with other topics such as braking and other aspects of suspension tuning. And Its free info as well. Keep an open mind and You wont be steered in the wrong direction.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tillery
Well now you are enjoying your car more. There is a road racing section that does have a wealth of info. Hang out there cause mitchntx is also a driver and can help with other topics such as braking and other aspects of suspension tuning. And Its free info as well. Keep an open mind and You wont be steered in the wrong direction.
Right on. I will probably be doing my first autocross in a few weeks, so I will check out that section. I've seen a couple videos of mitchntx, and he looks like a good driver with a lot of knowledge about racing.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
I don't get this sam whining stuff. I have some of sams stuff on my car and love it. I talked with him and he was very helpful. Not just helpful, but knows every part and how it works and how it will react. I had a couple questions for him too and it was more of a "is this right" kind of stuff. I will always deal with sam in the future. The guy is a freaking genious.
I'm with this guy. Maybe it's just because I'm not over here on tech that much, so I just don't understand, but I praise my Strano springs all the time. It's not because I know Sam Strano or want to spam for his shop or anything, I'm just that damn impressed with his springs. I absolutely LOVE the way my car rides compared to the Pro Kit that was on it.

I have no experience with how knowledgable or helpful he is, but I'm sure he really knows his stuff. I will say however, that his **** is always on backorder and it's kind of a PITA to get your hands on it. That is the only frustration that I've had dealing with him.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
I'm with this guy. Maybe it's just because I'm not over here on tech that much, so I just don't understand, but I praise my Strano springs all the time. It's not because I know Sam Strano or want to spam for his shop or anything, I'm just that damn impressed with his springs. I absolutely LOVE the way my car rides compared to the Pro Kit that was on it.
I think part of it is, the answer to a lot of questions people ask here is invariably "Ask Sam." Sam's a very smart guy and his wins on the track show he both knows how to race and how to design parts/set a car up, but it's also good to get a variety of answers from different people about a question. It just gives the person asking the question a better overall picture of various setups, parts, techniques, reasons for doing something, etc.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoLoco
As far as I know, there is no weight reduction in the front. I assume you are asking because the front sits a little higher than most cars with the same setup. For some reason, it does sit a little higher, and it was a lot higher with the SLP Bilstein/Eibachs, but it is definitely more even front to rear now with the Koni/Stranos. The nose dive was crazy with the SLP Bilstein/Eibachs and factory swaybars, but there is almost zero nose dive with the Koni/Stranos and Strano swaybars.
Yeah, I noticed how high it sat with your old setup as well. I think you could possibly do a mod to your Koni setup to level out your car and still have the same amount of travel.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I've NEVER said I hate Sam ... Never! I have the utmost respect for his skills ona track. Said so on numerous occasions.

We disagree on the approach and resolution of issues and I don't care for his quarterly "I love me" thread.

But that's about it.
If you ever were to talk to me without a chip on your shoulder, you'd know I'm actually pretty modest.... But this is business and how I make my living. Mitch is retired, and so it's easy for him to take pot-shots when it's not his life that's effected. But I can't imagine if the person who paid him asked if he was good at his work or just ok, that he'd say "I'm really not any good" because that would likely effect the way his payer viewed him.

And let's be frank Mitch, you don't have respect for me, or my driving. You think I'm just an autocrosser (and have said so in the past when discussing say track setups) who's only around to make money of unsuspecting saps. Fine, you are entitled to that opinion. Then just say so and quit with the sniping, and quit being such a child. Why does it **** you off so much when happy customers of mine post their results? I mean I appreciate the fact they do as I'm sure most know you'll pop up and try and bully them around.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

But it didn't used to be like that.

I recall when some one would post a question here and real, tech advice.
Now it's just a spam-fest.

If you send the site sponsor money, to me, that gives you a right to advertise, like a newspaper ad or TV ad. Posting "buy my stuff" in a tech question thread is like getting a call from a tele-marketer. It's unsolicited and happens way too often.

It was always like that Mitch, and you know it. Maybe you don't since you had your head stuffed so far up LG Motorsports *** you couldn't see it looking out of the one brown eye.... You are a fan-boi of theirs, or were--maybe not now, who knows. And he was the WORST offender of all around here. His argument for everything was "I've won 3 World Challenge Championships" and that would be the end. I particularly loved his quote one day (that you agreed with) that if an adjustable shock had say 8 settings--by definition 7 are wrong. I don't think that's true at all, there might be one better than the other 7 for your personal tastes... but having no adjustment doesn't make "that setting" automatically correct either. You didn't get it then, and probably still don't know.

Also, I have enough respect for others to stay out of threads praising setups that I didn't do, or don't agree with. I don't love some particular vendors here, I really like some others. Even the ones I can't stand I don't go stomping into threads their happy customers started. It'd be nice if you showed a little courtesy and respect to others.

You want to hate on me. Fine. Start your own thread.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

I'm glad you're happy with your setup. Now you have the bug! Sam has helped me out several times and has steered me in the right direction, even when that would save me money. Hope you enjoy the site and get used to picking your way through the weeds to find your answer.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not getting involved in this fight fest, but I'll give my opinion

Sam is a pretty damn good resource if you ask me. Anyone would be wasting a good opportunity to pass up talking to him about how you want your car setup. How many people do you know have as much experience and seat time with different setups? How many people really know and understand what does what to the car and how to fix it? Not many. There are, but not many on this message board. I guess it's up to you if you to decide if you think it's a bunch of BS, you don't have to bother with him.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It was always like that Mitch, and you know it. Maybe you don't since you had your head stuffed so far up LG Motorsports *** you couldn't see it looking out of the one brown eye.... You are a fan-boi of theirs, or were--maybe not now, who knows. And he was the WORST offender of all around here. His argument for everything was "I've won 3 World Challenge Championships" and that would be the end. I particularly loved his quote one day (that you agreed with) that if an adjustable shock had say 8 settings--by definition 7 are wrong. I don't think that's true at all, there might be one better than the other 7 for your personal tastes... but having no adjustment doesn't make "that setting" automatically correct either. You didn't get it then, and probably still don't know.

Also, I have enough respect for others to stay out of threads praising setups that I didn't do, or don't agree with. I don't love some particular vendors here, I really like some others. Even the ones I can't stand I don't go stomping into threads their happy customers started. It'd be nice if you showed a little courtesy and respect to others.

You want to hate on me. Fine. Start your own thread.
So I should follow your lead like in the BMR springs thread? Saw serious respect there.

As far as the LG stuff ... you are attacking me because of what LGM did 10 years ago? Holy crap ...

And again, you get all bent out of shape over my, single, independent opinion. If you and your business is truly what you claim, what is one person's opinion?

I have no chip. I'm very comfortable with who I am and what you and your posse think about me. Some of you take the internet way to seriously.

Finally, no need to call me names. It's so Jr. High-ish. But, we've all seen your responses to folks who disagree with you.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You now a BMR fan? How about the fact they flat out told everyone for years their old stuff was the best, until it wasn't. Then they made no bones about how they had my springs to check out. Yeah, it pissed me off. I'm not perfect by any means. But at least they have a reason for doing what they do--it's business. With you it seems to be pleasure.

I think it's funny how you make me out to be this terrible name-caller, Jr High student, who is so full of himself with no reason to be, make snarky little comments, attack customers and basically call them brainwashed, and do it all without any solid footing.
Your signature says "Arguing with an idiot in futile. Eventually, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." I literally laugh everytime I see that because I see it at the end of one of some post where you are off on a tirade railing about how I've got people fooled and all. Oh, Sam can drive, but he really is just a salesman pulling everyone's leg. I don't know how you square your thought in your own head. The only point to all this is your dislike for me. If you have no issue, leave me and the rest of us alone. There is one of you on every site. There is a joker on a Mustang site that folks want banned because of crap like this. He rails on about how I'm a stuffed shirt--but he doesn't even sign his name or come up with any reason for it. I will give you credit, at least you'll stand up and say who you are.

At some point you have to wonder if all these people are happy with the work I do and the parts they get and find I'm helpful to them (and take the time to say so) and am I really that bad? It's not a crime in the USA to be good at your line of work. It's not a crime to pay for advertising on a website. It's not a crime to let folks know you are concerned with the result and that you care. It's not even a crime to sell them parts they can benefit from. So why do you try and make me feel like a criminal? Do you think I'm stealing from people?

Tell me, what is the underlying problem Mitch? What is it that I do so wrong?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM

I've NEVER said I hate Sam ... Never! I have the utmost respect for his skills ona track. Said so on numerous occasions.

We disagree on the approach and resolution of issues and I don't care for his quarterly "I love me" thread.

But that's about it.
Are you kidding me? Do you even know Sam?
He is one of the most helpful and humble people I will ever know. What are you basing your opinions on?
I know PLEANTY of people that are all about themselves and Sam is NOT one of them.

Sam cares about helping people, but you have to listen. He isn't going to teach someone that is too proud to listen. He has a lot of good useful knowledge. I have gained loads from his knowledge. He taught me more this weekend in 4 autocross runs than I have learned in 3 seasons. The stuff he taught me also had great results. I went about 3 seconds faster. On an autocross course. That's huge.

FWIW, I think we should go back to the rule our parents taught us when we were 3, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. Sam is good people he doesn't deserve unkind words.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Well put.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You now a BMR fan? How about the fact they flat out told everyone for years their old stuff was the best, until it wasn't. Then they made no bones about how they had my springs to check out. Yeah, it pissed me off. I'm not perfect by any means. But at least they have a reason for doing what they do--it's business. With you it seems to be pleasure.

I think it's funny how you make me out to be this terrible name-caller, Jr High student, who is so full of himself with no reason to be, make snarky little comments, attack customers and basically call them brainwashed, and do it all without any solid footing.
Your signature says "Arguing with an idiot in futile. Eventually, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." I literally laugh everytime I see that because I see it at the end of one of some post where you are off on a tirade railing about how I've got people fooled and all. Oh, Sam can drive, but he really is just a salesman pulling everyone's leg. I don't know how you square your thought in your own head. The only point to all this is your dislike for me. If you have no issue, leave me and the rest of us alone. There is one of you on every site. There is a joker on a Mustang site that folks want banned because of crap like this. He rails on about how I'm a stuffed shirt--but he doesn't even sign his name or come up with any reason for it. I will give you credit, at least you'll stand up and say who you are.

At some point you have to wonder if all these people are happy with the work I do and the parts they get and find I'm helpful to them (and take the time to say so) and am I really that bad? It's not a crime in the USA to be good at your line of work. It's not a crime to pay for advertising on a website. It's not a crime to let folks know you are concerned with the result and that you care. It's not even a crime to sell them parts they can benefit from. So why do you try and make me feel like a criminal? Do you think I'm stealing from people?

Tell me, what is the underlying problem Mitch? What is it that I do so wrong?

But that's about it.
Not sure what part of that escapes you?

Again, someone will post a real tech question, and the answer is typically to buy parts. It's not just you that does it.

Rarely do you or any of the other vendors take the time to explain what the cause is and the fix. Now you, in particular, prefer to do it one person at a time via a phone call.

How does this help the population of LS1Tech?

Your pat answer is "buy a set of shocks". Can't argue with that because stock shocks are really and truly junk. But why not explain why these platforms need more bump?

Another example is how we've disagreed for years on the use of bumpstops. You like the instant, infinite spring rate when the axle hits it and use it to get the car to rotate. And your progressive rear springs work that into the equation.

OK ... that works for you at 50mph in a parking, by yourself with nothing to hit but a cone.

But that kind of "violent" rotation at 70mph in a pack of cars, each on the edge of traction, can cause some one to get hurt. This can be turn 1 at Mid-Ohio or on a freeway near you.

I prefer to install a linear spring so that the approach to infinity (spring bind) is slower and predictable.

Two examples of where you and I disagree on approach and resolution without any name-calling.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 862 Likes on 658 Posts

IME the biggest problem is the rear bilsteins are too soft. I swapped my rear Billies for Koni 3rd gens and it was a noticable improvement. After a year I stiffened the rear one notch and noticed more control. Sam's springs are great but good shocks will even improve soft springs.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Alec
I see that the first post has been edited since I posted my reply. The best part has been cut out.

It said "if your car could talk, it would say call Mr. Sam Strano."

HAHAHAAA that was too much bs I couldn't take it. Way too funny.
OK. First of all, Alec, the comment on the first post was a joke, and it is not what you have in quotations. I said "if my car's suspension could talk, it would say 'Sam Strano, you complete me'" - describing how much better my car handles now with the new suspension setup. It's similar to a quote from a movie, you know Jerry Maguire? Anyway, I decided to delete it.

And what kind of 'new user' just happens to make his first post a sales pitch titled praise for Sam Strano.
You can interpret it however you want. To repeat myself, again, when I had the previous suspension setups, my car drove like a full size 4x4. Taking an on ramp at 35 mph felt like I was hanging on for dear life with the body roll and understeer, and I didn't hate driving, but my car did not feel like it handled like a sports car (OK, I won't lie - I pretty much hated taking turns, changing lanes, and doing anything except driving it a straight line on a flat road - for 6 months with the SLP Bilstein/Eibach, factory swaybars and panhard bar setup). To say the least, it was definitely not what I expected after paying x dollars for new SLP Bilstein/Eibachs and paying a shop for 6 hours of work to install them. With the Koni/Stranos, Strano swaybars and UMI dual roto-joint panhard bar, I take the same turn going 70 mph plus, and feel completely confident like I could go even faster if I wanted to. That much of a difference was huge, not to mention the other great advantages the Koni/Stranos had compared to the previous suspension setups. It changed my entire experience driving my car, and I love my car and love to drive it, now that it handles the way I think it should.

To repeat myself again, it's not just about money. If I had read some honest reviews on SLP Bilstein/Eibachs versus Koni/Stranos, I probably would not have had a car that I hated to drive for 6 months, not to mention the amount of time and energy I spent wondering what was wrong with my car, trying to figure out how to fix the problem, etc., and the money I spent on the parts and labor for the SLP Bilstein/Eibachs. There are not a lot of things I can comment on about these cars, since I don't have much first-hand experience with them, but this is one thing I can comment on, so if it helps at least one person, then I would be content with that. With the amount of knowledge on here that people can get to determine what they are looking for, if I can help with the little bit of knowledge I have at this point, then I have made a positive contribution to LS1TECH. And since Mr. Strano helped me a lot with determining the parts I needed and did not need for my car to run well, and his technical advice in installing the components, it is only right that I show some appreciation by starting a thread, for the amount of time he spent helping me to get my car running well.

Last edited by NeoLoco; 10-25-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Again, someone will post a real tech question, and the answer is typically to buy parts. It's not just you that does it.

Rarely do you or any of the other vendors take the time to explain what the cause is and the fix. Now you, in particular, prefer to do it one person at a time via a phone call.

How does this help the population of LS1Tech?

Your pat answer is "buy a set of shocks". Can't argue with that because stock shocks are really and truly junk. But why not explain why these platforms need more bump?

Another example is how we've disagreed for years on the use of bumpstops. You like the instant, infinite spring rate when the axle hits it and use it to get the car to rotate. And your progressive rear springs work that into the equation.
It seriously sounds like you have never read any of his posts before...
While we are on the subject mitch, why don't you with the experience you have with racing too give tech input ever?

OK ... that works for you at 50mph in a parking, by yourself with nothing to hit but a cone.

But that kind of "violent" rotation at 70mph in a pack of cars, each on the edge of traction, can cause some one to get hurt. This can be turn 1 at Mid-Ohio or on a freeway near you.

I prefer to install a linear spring so that the approach to infinity (spring bind) is slower and predictable.

Two examples of where you and I disagree on approach and resolution without any name-calling.
And there it is...
First we should clear up the implications here. NO WHERE will you see Sam say anything even close to his setup being the "all out best". What you will see is him saying "I prefer it" or "I've used it to win auto-x", you won't see him saying its the best and should be used in all situations, including Mitch's restricted racing class (which it couldn't be used anyway due to restrictions). Im not sure why you even bother to judge the setup because your two classes are so much different, of course your setup is going to be different. I could easily say that you use more rear spring rate to compensate for the lack of power to get the car to rotate more.
Next we need to clear up the false claims. Sam's rear springs are very much linear, the "dead coils" literally sit on top of each other when the car is not lifted in the air. Next bump stops have rates, and no where near "infinity", don't be silly mitch. You sure seem to "know" a lot for someone who has no experience with Sam's setup, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you have never auto-xed.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people who are new to the Ls1 F-body ask about changing plug number 8 or piston slap etc, etc... They don't post a long *** parts review. This is my last comment on this. So, enjoy the car, and try not get to wound up stress is bad
Why would it matter if it came from a veteran or a new user? I don't see the problem with this thread or why this has become such a Sam/OP bash fest. There was a flood of BMR threads a while back and I saw a fraction of the negative comments in there compared to the Strano threads.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
It seriously sounds like you have never read any of his posts before...
While we are on the subject mitch, why don't you with the experience you have with racing too give tech input ever?

And there it is...
First we should clear up the implications here. NO WHERE will you see Sam say anything even close to his setup being the "all out best". What you will see is him saying "I prefer it" or "I've used it to win auto-x", you won't see him saying its the best and should be used in all situations, including Mitch's restricted racing class (which it couldn't be used anyway due to restrictions). Im not sure why you even bother to judge the setup because your two classes are so much different, of course your setup is going to be different. I could easily say that you use more rear spring rate to compensate for the lack of power to get the car to rotate more.
Next we need to clear up the false claims. Sam's rear springs are very much linear, the "dead coils" literally sit on top of each other when the car is not lifted in the air. Next bump stops have rates, and no where near "infinity", don't be silly mitch. You sure seem to "know" a lot for someone who has no experience with Sam's setup, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you have never auto-xed.

I do post in lots of threads when folks have issues with brakes, ride height issues, hearing noises, etc. And I learn a lot, too.

There what is? My examples illustrate approach to set-up, that's all. At least I put my cards on the table and the reasons why I disagree. The reason why Sam and you Sam-ites don't like me is because I disagree with all of you and his approach to set-up.

That's kind of shallow.

And I'm too tired right now to search, but when Sam and BMR were going at it recently, I could have sworn the rear spring rates were progressive.

If they aren't then I apologize for misleading folks.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

WTF does BMR have to do with this?????????? Nothing, so drop it. Just drop it. I'd love to but you just keep poking and pushing.

If someone with one post said "the sky is blue" would you argue with them? Do you think that one post means they literally just came out of their mother's womb? Frankly I talk to a lot of folks who are on here, but just lurk because the don't want to get mixed up in the bashing (go figure). For me it's a necessary evil. I'd love for the results to speak for themselves, but then you argue with the results!

Have a good day, I'm done with this particular episode of Mitch's PMS.