Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering rack issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering rack issues

I put a new steering rack in my car (99 SS) and it is off. I tried as best i could to center it before installation, but it was still a little off to one side. I aligned it, and i definitely have alot more room to turn to the left than to the right.

I know its the right rack because i tried both not realizing there was a different one for v6 cars. It seems like its off about 45 degrees from center. How can i fix this? Were the newer steering shafts different to compensate for this?

I hope i didnt make it too hard to understand, but basically the part the steering shaft bolts to was pretty much lined up level with the width of the car with the rack centered, but this one, that part is clocked a little bit off center with the rack centered.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

bump for the slim chance somebody can help me.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Staging Lane

You said u aligned it how did you do that? Did you center it by the steering shaft or by the tie rod ends? You had to put the tie rod ends on it, so did u measure or count threads and put them on as close to the way Ur old one was?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, and i measured, the rack was perfectly centered end to end. But with the rack being centered, it wouldn't line up with the steering shaft, so it had to be turned about 90* one way to line up causing it to be slightly off center. that 90* for some reason seems like almost 180* at the steering wheel, so aligning it brought one tierod way in, and the other way out.

I modified the steering shaft so i could give it what i thought would be the necessary 90* in the opposite direction, but that only switched everything to the opposite side, but slightly less off.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

bump cuz i'm feeling lucky.

thinking if its possible to maybe pull the pinion gear out and reinstall it in the correct position.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

still pursuing this. Maybe my best option is to get another rack. Sucks cuz I got this one at cost so no warranty.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
I put a new steering rack in my car (99 SS) and it is off. I tried as best i could to center it before installation, but it was still a little off to one side. I aligned it, and i definitely have alot more room to turn to the left than to the right.

I know its the right rack because i tried both not realizing there was a different one for v6 cars. It seems like its off about 45 degrees from center. How can i fix this? Were the newer steering shafts different to compensate for this?

I hope i didnt make it too hard to understand, but basically the part the steering shaft bolts to was pretty much lined up level with the width of the car with the rack centered, but this one, that part is clocked a little bit off center with the rack centered.
The spline and flat section of the shaft that connects to the steering column coupler is clocked differently on 93-97 racks as compared to 98-02.

It sounds to me like you have an older model version.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-question.html
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The spline and flat section of the shaft that connects to the steering column coupler is clocked differently on 93-97 racks as compared to 98-02.

It sounds to me like you have an older model version.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-question.html
Thats the thing, i definitely had the wrong one at first because it came off at an angle and made the steering shaft rub up against the motor mount and exhaust.

The one i have now is identical to the one that came out, as in the casing where the pinion is clocked identically to my original rack where the first rack was definitely different (i was rushing the first time and didnt pay attention).

The only part that is off is the pinion its self is oriented different when the rack is level. Almost as if the rack could have been assembled incorrectly, maybe one tooth off or something like that.

Are you saying that there may be a third steering rack for these cars? Advance Auto listed a "firm" and a "standard". My dumbass tried the firm at first, but i believe that is the one for the F41 suspension noted in the other thread. So the standard is whats in there now.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am taking out my rack right now , i rotated it all the way to the left then marked the box, turned it the other way till it stopped and marked it again, then centered it .. should be 2.25 turns stop to stop... i just split it... now i have the new rack ready but i cant figure out how to get the old rack out, the bolts drop in from the top so how does it come out? im doing this in the dark by the way.. haha...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
i am taking out my rack right now , i rotated it all the way to the left then marked the box, turned it the other way till it stopped and marked it again, then centered it .. should be 2.25 turns stop to stop... i just split it... now i have the new rack ready but i cant figure out how to get the old rack out, the bolts drop in from the top so how does it come out? im doing this in the dark by the way.. haha...
well I got good news and bad news for you. The bad news is you have to unbolt the motor mounts (and remove the alternator) to jack the motor up, I only did the drivers side one and it worked fine. The good news is it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Just make sure you reinstall the bolts upside down so the nut is up top.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spy2520
well I got good news and bad news for you. The bad news is you have to unbolt the motor mounts (and remove the alternator) to jack the motor up, I only did the drivers side one and it worked fine. The good news is it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Just make sure you reinstall the bolts upside down so the nut is up top.
yea i figured that.. that is F'n retarded.... but its not that bad i guess... guess it will have to wait till tomorrow... thanks for the clarification

Quick Reply: steering rack issues