Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rack and pinion question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion question

the other day i was driving and made a corner a little hard but not crazy hard and heard a wierd noise. so i pulled over and checked the power steering pump level. It was over half empty. so i went home filled it up and looked under the front it was almost to the point of dripping. i took it to the dealership and they told me it needed a new rack and pinion and was going to cost 1200 for parts and labor and 800 for the part alone. i think thats outrageous. so i need your opinion on what to do
Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just went through this ...

ACDELCO Part # 3616562 if your car was delivered w/o Z-rated tires (F41 suspension)

ACDELCO Part # 3616537 if your was delivered with Z-rated tires (FE2, Fe4 or FE7 suspension)

Don't opt for the cheaper Cardone unit.

No new ones ... reman only.

Either ACDelco will cost you about $250 plus core.

That does not include OUTER tie rod ends.

Not a hard job, just really messy. Two bolts through the K-Member, two lines on the rack and remove the tie rods from the knuckles.

You'll have to have a front end alignment (toe) when done.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

so what the hell is the difference in the two suspensions? faster ratio?

i'm guessing you have to look at the sticker to figure it out since the car is many years old.
is the sticker the one on the door?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suspensions? I really don;t know all the differneces. But, F41 rack is 2 3/4 turns lock to lock and the FEx is 2 1/4 turns lock to lock. As far as I can tell, it's the only difference.

Aren't the build codes on the inside of the glove box door? It's been a while since I had a car with all the interior in place. LOL
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The main difference in the racks are the angle at which the steering columns attaches to the rack. Trust me, I found out the hard way.... Had a joker at a local shop install the wrong rack: "Sir, I think you need a new steering column, it's very hard to turn the steering wheel?" My response: "WTF!$%^(&*(!"

The angle on the replacement rack (wrong suspension option) made the steering column rub on the exhaust manifolds. Tech: "I had to do some tweaking to get the new rack in?" Some tweaking, they pounded on the exhaust manifold so much that they knocked the packing loose in the cat...

Make sure you order the right one.....
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Teching In

i also have to replace my rack and pinion. just looked at RPO code on door. mines is FE4

Last edited by 808_ss; 12-23-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Teching In

i have a 2000 ss
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Old thread I know, but related to my search. So it sounds like to upgrade to the faster turn ratio rack, you need both the rack and the column huh? Anything else needed?

Originally Posted by chobes
The main difference in the racks are the angle at which the steering columns attaches to the rack. Trust me, I found out the hard way.... Had a joker at a local shop install the wrong rack: "Sir, I think you need a new steering column, it's very hard to turn the steering wheel?" My response: "WTF!$%^(&*(!"

The angle on the replacement rack (wrong suspension option) made the steering column rub on the exhaust manifolds. Tech: "I had to do some tweaking to get the new rack in?" Some tweaking, they pounded on the exhaust manifold so much that they knocked the packing loose in the cat...

Make sure you order the right one.....
Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Teching In

suspension code is on the driver door sticker. Chobes is right, I had the same problem. you have to get the right rack or the angle is completely wrong and will ruin your day.its a pretty easy job, if you are good with a wrech you can do the job yourself and save alot of money.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

note OP:
as I have not had the plasure of replacing one I am not sure but I think you will need to rase the moter in order to remove one of the rack mounting bolts OR just cut it out with a grinder or saz-saz and replace the bolt with a new one placing it UPside down and using a good locking nut
Johnny
Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some tips here too and install write-up on page 2:
http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=94306

I'm still not clear, what else is needed to go from the 16.9:1 in the V6, to the v8 14.4:1?

Quick Reply: rack and pinion question