Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which aftermarket springs will help keep my rear tires from rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which aftermarket springs will help keep my rear tires from rubbing?

My 2002 Z28 currently has the Strano front and rear lowering springs with the Koni single-adjustable shocks (already set on full hard). The wheels are 18x9.5" Forgeline RS with 285/40/ZR18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars.

My installer has already rolled the fenders and centered the rear using the UMI double adjustable panhard rod. (I don't think he has done the BFH mod yet, cut the bumpstops, or used spacers.) Even after doing these modifications, the rear tires have still been rubbing (but much less than before). He originally suggested that I get rear springs with higher spring rates to help keep the rear tires from rubbing.

Are there any aftermarket springs out there that will meet this criteria?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is it rubbing? Inside? Outside? Lip? If you put a better description of the rubbing we can probably help.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

They are rubbing on the inside.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The springs aren't the problem, it's your wheel offset, you've got to much +offset.
18 x 9.5s shouldn't rub at all unless you've got the wrong offset, which sound like to much positive offset to me.
So what's the offset on the wheels?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

I'm running 18x9.5 rear wheels, +45mm offset, 295/35-18 tires

I plan on installing Strano springs in the near future. I rolled my quarter panels as well. Hopefully mine do not rub. The wheel/tire sticky said I can run +38mm to +56mm offset on a 9.5" wheel.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The springs aren't the problem, it's your wheel offset, you've got to much +offset.
18 x 9.5s shouldn't rub at all unless you've got the wrong offset, which sound like to much positive offset to me.
So what's the offset on the wheels?
I have no idea. All I know is that I bought them slightly used from another person that had a 4th gen.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I concur with wheel offset - not sure if Forgeline does it but check the inside of the wheel to verify if the offset is noted on the wheel. You shouldn't have any problem with a 9.5. Maybe a small spacer to push it outward slightly. Worse case you might have to bring the hammer out and "tune" the inner well. Had the same problem (same tire size except on a 10.5" wheel). Couple minutes with a hammer and some undercoating, you should be good to go.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LPE 403
I concur with wheel offset - not sure if Forgeline does it but check the inside of the wheel to verify if the offset is noted on the wheel. You shouldn't have any problem with a 9.5. Maybe a small spacer to push it outward slightly. Worse case you might have to bring the hammer out and "tune" the inner well. Had the same problem (same tire size except on a 10.5" wheel). Couple minutes with a hammer and some undercoating, you should be good to go.
Instead of doing small bodywork or using spacers, is there an alternative where I can install more aggressive springs?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

I saw this in Sam Strano's website:

Suspension leveling kit (rear assist air springs)

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7

It's suppose to raise the rear and increase spring rates. I'm just wondering if it'll work with the rear Strano springs.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

If the offset it wrong, get the right wheels!!!!

Changing a spring, or adding an air bag, or banging in things, or putting a spacer on are only band aids to solve a real problem. A properly offset 18x9.5 w/ 285 tire shouldn't cause ANY issues. Even if the car had eibach pro kit which 'slam' the car.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
If the offset it wrong, get the right wheels!!!!

Changing a spring, or adding an air bag, or banging in things, or putting a spacer on are only band aids to solve a real problem. A properly offset 18x9.5 w/ 285 tire shouldn't cause ANY issues. Even if the car had eibach pro kit which 'slam' the car.
I have been thinking about buying brand new Fikses, but the tires on my current wheels are new and I want to get my money's worth from my setup so a temporary fix is good enough for now.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I saw this in Sam Strano's website:

Suspension leveling kit (rear assist air springs)

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7

It's suppose to raise the rear and increase spring rates. I'm just wondering if it'll work with the rear Strano springs.
Those will work with my springs, but they won't help.... Others have said it, it's the wheel/tire combination. It's too tight to the inside. What very well could help is a Watts link as it kills all lateral motion of the body vs. the axle (and the wheels/tires). When I put my link on, I was able to take 3/8" of wheel spacer off the car on EACH SIDE and not rub... no other changes, same wheels, tires, everything....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stock 17x9's are 50mm offset. You have 45mm putting your inside edge in just about the same spot as a stock SS wheel. BUT you have bigger tires in 285. And F1D3's are known to run wide as well, those in 285 are more like other's 295's..... You could change tires and might get rid of the rub..... you could run some spacer.... You could do lots of things that might help, but the bags won't. And changing springs won't.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Will the Watts link system work with a stock-width Midwest Fabricated 9 inch rear-end and the new Kooks true dual exhaust system?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fays2 will not work on a Fabbed 9.... I think they make their own, it was initially pretty weak looking, I think they upgraded it a bit.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Instead of doing small bodywork or using spacers, is there an alternative where I can install more aggressive springs?
What's wrong with using the big f-ing hammer? Just make sure your rear seat is in place so you don't move the mounting locations and smack that b*tch up!

Do you realize why stiffer springs won't help? Stiffer springs don't prevent the suspension travel from going full compression unless maybe you get some really stiff springs possibly? And then you'd have to make some serious springrate sacrifices. With most of the aftermarket springs out there, you will still hit full suspension travel. I would just use the hammer and/or maybe get a GOOD small spacer combined with some slightly longer wheel studs.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Yep! prob. your cheapiest & best fix till you get new wheels is just a spacer & studs!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Cheapest is definitely the BFH, lol
Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much space do you have between the tire and the fender Lip (I'm trying to gauge how much you can space them out)?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
How much space do you have between the tire and the fender Lip (I'm trying to gauge how much you can space them out)?
The car is in the body shop right now getting a new hood, spoiler and paint job. I think what I'll end up doing is having them do the BFH mod. Then, I'll order the fab 9 from Midwest with their Watts Link assembly.

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket springs will help keep my rear tires from rubbing?