Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That piece fits between the body of the car and upper arm assy. It gets covered in dirt and rust etc.. so it is easy to miss. I must have done front end work on at least 3 or 4 F-Cars a week when I wrenched at Firestone, and never noticed that rubber piece until I did my own.

If you have a Pick-a-Part yard near you start yanking them apart you should find one in decent condition. Yards are fast becoming the last place to find OEM parts. Our cars are part of "Old GM"

You guys that live in the rust belt, man I feel for you.

You can still find NOS Fox chassis Mustang stuff, but F-Car parts are getting rare and $$$
Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up another set of upper arms today, and one side had the bushing

I now have 2 extra bushings for whichever control arm is on the right side in the pic
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Maybe some alignment of terminaology would help me understand.

Loosen the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that are under the hood and the whole front suspension assembly can swing out.

Remove the upper A-Arm that fits over the upper shock mount.

The upper shock mount looks like this ...
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=61383

The piece I previously linked to fits between the upper shock mount and the upper A-Arm.
Sorry, I guess I should have said the upper control arm support instead of shock mount. I already have my car in pieces so I couldn't remember if it went on top or below the control arm support.

Picture shows where it goes.
Attached Thumbnails bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???-shockmount.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm lost, then.

Cause I still think this
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1031983
is the part ... it at least looks like it.

And I think I was wrong about where it fits. It does indeed fit into the upper A-Arm and not the upper shock mount.

And as stated above ... what purpose does it serve? You got me ...
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'm lost, then.

Cause I still think this

And I think I was wrong about where it fits. It does indeed fit into the upper A-Arm and not the upper shock mount.

And as stated above ... what purpose does it serve? You got me ...

I agree with you...that's the "mystery part".
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I'm lost, then.

Cause I still think this
looks like it, but isn't. I've replaced that piece before, and this one is different. it's about the same shape, but this piece is pure rubber. that sits in the upper shock mount, then the a arm bracket goes on, and this goes on top of that.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree with you...that's the "mystery part".
..no it's not.

here's the piece you guys are thinking of (stole this pic):

then the upper a arm mount goes on with mystery bushing on top:

I don't think it does much, but it is there.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mitch,

The piece you are talking about is on the left, the piece I am talking about is on the right. Similar in shape, but different in size and design.

Realcreeper,

Like I said in the PM, if you notice, the right side of the piece is higher, which I guess works only on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???-img_0691.jpg   bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???-img_0693.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
looks like it, but isn't. I've replaced that piece before, and this one is different. it's about the same shape, but this piece is pure rubber. that sits in the upper shock mount, then the a arm bracket goes on, and this goes on top of that.

..no it's not.

here's the piece you guys are thinking of (stole this pic):

then the upper a arm mount goes on with mystery bushing on top:

I don't think it does much, but it is there.

You're right...I forgot about that piece....Since you have me curious, I went down to the basement and dug out my shop manual, to see what the part is called. There are 3-4 diagrams of the front suspension, and not once is it mentioned!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

hahah ohhh GM, always playing tricks on us
Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet its a moisture barrier. It keeps moisture in and around the upper shock shaft to aid in corrosion of the shock.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet its a moisture barrier. It keeps moisture in and around the upper shock shaft to aid in corrosion of the shock.
That explains why the passenger side gets so rusty
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even though you were somewhat kidding, there is some truth to this. I'm missing this piece on the passenger side shock, yet this side has FAR less rust than the driver's side. I may just leave them both off if there is no purpose.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

well in that case it is VERY effective hahah
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

I'm missing this same bushing that sits ON TOP of the control arm, I already have the strut mounts and isolator but can't seem to find these anywhere. Anyone have a part #?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am no automotive engineer but I have learned over my years of messing with my F-body that General Motors had reasons for putting parts on cars contrary to what other people have thought and I learned hard lessons for listening to them. I imagine this bushing helps to preserve the structural integrity of the bracket from flexing over time if you were to hit deep pot holes. The bushing may offer a degree of cushioning to keep the bracket sound and prevent possible fatigue. That is my guess but I wouldn't dare reinstall upper control arm brackets without these bushings and since they are discontinued and a pain to find on used parts, I am going to have a local bushing manufacturer reproduce these bushings for me but this time it will be made out of polyurethane so that they won't rot with time.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't get these new! I remember now. Mine were so flat and worn out. My uncle couldn't get them so I put them back in I am pretty sure. I do remember those huge isolators though going on. My upper control arm was a little rotted out and that little bushing was shot. I assume if I get aftermarket A-arms that bushing is not needed anymore... because now that I remembe rthat upper control arm was scurry

Last edited by ThoR294; 04-29-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I am no automotive engineer but I have learned over my years of messing with my F-body that General Motors had reasons for putting parts on cars contrary to what other people have thought and I learned hard lessons for listening to them. I imagine this bushing helps to preserve the structural integrity of the bracket from flexing over time if you were to hit deep pot holes. The bushing may offer a degree of cushioning to keep the bracket sound and prevent possible fatigue. That is my guess but I wouldn't dare reinstall upper control arm brackets without these bushings and since they are discontinued and a pain to find on used parts, I am going to have a local bushing manufacturer reproduce these bushings for me but this time it will be made out of polyurethane so that they won't rot with time.
What's weird is some cars never even came with them. My 98 had all original suspension on it and had never been touched until I replaced the shocks, and it didn't have those rubber pieces.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

one side of mine was perfect the other side was a pancake
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Same thing, driver's side fine, passenger side looked like a pancake.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
What's weird is some cars never even came with them. My 98 had all original suspension on it and had never been touched until I replaced the shocks, and it didn't have those rubber pieces.
same my 98 z28 does not have them. also gm is know to be like benz all the cars will have different parts depending on what parts they have on the assembly line. hence why most late 90's cars have half metric and half standard bolts its retarded but all in interest of saving a buck.

Quick Reply: bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???