Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???

There is a piece of rubber between the upper control arm bracket and the body of the car. where can i buy a new one? Its not the strut mount or coil spring isolator/insulator. It is a bushing that goes above all the front suspension bits between the bracket and body only.

I am replacing my shocks and struts and this project has my effin car sidelined on jackstands for three days now....

I have one of these but its worn down and i need one for the other side at least.

I have done a search and Marine SS has the same issue for a 96 ss but nobody has gotten it yet.

please help quickly, i lost my job already and cant get a new one without transportation. I'm not looking for sympathy, just advice from someone who has done this... The Chevy dealership said the part is discontinued none of the local parts stores have been able to help and I am running out of ideas
Attached Thumbnails bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???-bottom-bushing.jpg   bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???-top-bushing.jpg   bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???-top-control-arm-bracket.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AFAIK, you need the upper control arm mount, as that rubber bushing does not seem to be sold separately from what I can find.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I *think* it's Moog Part #K6573, either a coil spring isolator, or a strut bearing plate isolator.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

if you just need the piece of rubber, I have an extra one sitting in my basement that looks to be in okay condition
Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

does this part have any real purpose??? i dont see what it does......
Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its called a strut mount bushing....
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...122700_0_5060_
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

^^ nope, that's a different part

this is just a rubber ring basically
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Sure looks like it prevents squeaking of metal on metal and prevents the top of the shock shaft from rubbing on metal in extreme movements...

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
Old 11-05-2010, 04:00 AM
TECH Junkie

For what it's worth... When I installed my Hotchkis springs I was forced to use my buddies struts from his old car.. One of the struts was missing that little rubber piece on top, so instead of having just one, we took the other one off. So I have been running on no bushings installed there and have never noticed anything that would make me think I need the bushings there..
Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
It's needed to distribute the load from the top of the shock out over a larger surface on the upper shock mount. This distributed load is what prevents the shock nut and stud from getting pulled through the control arm under stress. Exact same theory as a big washer.
The one side is angled slightly to make for a flat bolting surface for the shock nut on top. The moog piece below is what I think you need. The upper shock mount from the dealer includes these, but they are stupidly expensive for a dealer part. I was quoted like $200 something for one side at the local dealer. I bought a used one here on LS1tech.

Originally Posted by JJsQwuik
Its called a strut mount bushing....
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...122700_0_5060_
This is correct. That rubber piece should be steel coated in rubber. If he is referring to the piece of that fits into the upper control arm pocket on the far right picture, it's the shock/strut mount bushing. Although I have to say, the posters picture looks slightly different than the one I've seen on my car and looks a little different than the Moog part. But if it is the trapezoidal shaped piece that fits in the upper arm on the far right picture, that's all it can be. A NAPA store or other good part store will carry Moog. I know Advanced does.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

The piece he is looking for is NOT the metal piece that goes under the nut. Those are available at autozone and summit. This is just a purely rubber piece that sits on top of that, but not really attached to anything. It just rests in there.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i know exactly what you are looking for and i was pretty sure i found it on MarineSS post, for some odd reason it was in the strut section not the upper control arm. This Piece is on the upper A-arm support bracket mounted to the top side between the bracket and the body, not what everyone else is posting.

Like stated above it is a 100% rubber piece to dampen the metal/metal contact. I have mine out as we speak because i am doing my entire front suspension and painting my spindles/a-arms
Old 11-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
The piece he is looking for is NOT the metal piece that goes under the nut. Those are available at autozone and summit. This is just a purely rubber piece that sits on top of that, but not really attached to anything. It just rests in there.
When I did my front suspension, I removed the shock and springs and upper control arms and it had never been apart before. There were definitely no purely rubber pieces on top of the rubber coated metal piece I was describing. I'm wondering if it was included only on certain years? My 98 did not have these. I know that's very unlikely.
I'll be curious to find out where they find them, if they do. I would imagine it should still be a dealer part, but it may not be available separately. At this point, I have no idea.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

I never noticed them until the 2nd time I had my front end apart and I had to replace one of the upper mounts. I bought a low mileage set off of someone on here and he sent me that part, I had no clue where it went until I took it apart again hahah.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you ever find out where to get this piece? I'm in the middle of a shock install and noticed one of mine is missing.

For the record, this is not the piece that sits on top of the shock and below the upper mount. This is the piece on top of the upper mount, and I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1031983

2002 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28 5.7L 350cid V8 FI (G) OHV : Suspension : Strut Bearing Plate Insulator
RAYBESTOS Part # 5201160 Professional Grade
Strut Mount Insulator
Front; Upper; Contains Bearing

$16.83

Rockauto.com
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

that's not what he needs

I have a loose one laying around, in the PM I told you it was the one that goes under the a arm bracket but it's actually the one that goes on top that mariness posted pictures of
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1031983

2002 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28 5.7L 350cid V8 FI (G) OHV : Suspension : Strut Bearing Plate Insulator
RAYBESTOS Part # 5201160 Professional Grade
Strut Mount Insulator
Front; Upper; Contains Bearing

$16.83

Rockauto.com
Mitch,

That piece goes under the shock mount and on top of the shock itself. It's the wrong piece, I know because I ordered one from a local auto parts place using the Moog part number above.

The piece I'm looking for literally sits on top of the shock mount and goes in between it and the body of the car. Nothing holds it in place, it just sits there.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i still say it is almost usless
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe some alignment of terminaology would help me understand.

Loosen the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that are under the hood and the whole front suspension assembly can swing out.

Remove the upper A-Arm that fits over the upper shock mount.

The upper shock mount looks like this ...
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=61383

The piece I previously linked to fits between the upper shock mount and the upper A-Arm.

Quick Reply: bushing between control arm bracket and body??? WTF???