Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ride height with springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride height with springs and shocks

im looking to lower my 2000 trans am about 1.25 inches all around or similar. I was also looking at some suspension upgrades and after reading up it seems that the first thing I should get are some new shocks. Either kyb agx or koni sport. My main question is can I lower the ride height with just the shocks while leaving my stock springs on? I think I can with the koni, but I can't tell for sure with the kyb which are a little cheaper
Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only the Koni's have the front lower perch you would want for lowering with the shocks. It seems that BMR has the 1" drop A-arms coming out soon, but if you're planning on getting new lowering springs eventually that doesn't seem like the smartest choice. But, with Koni's, you can get the .75/.5" drop with the lower perch/heater hose mod (a member on this board has a alternative to the heater hose mod by using a spring bracket, I think he's NastyC4?). BTW, Koni's are well worth the money IMO, even with stock springs (ask me how I know ).
Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah but the heater hose mod only lowers the rear. So I can adjust the ride height with the konis? A 1.25 inch drop?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You can't drop 1.25" with shocks alone. Koni's are the only shocks that have the front spring perch that lowers the nose of the car. The heater hose mod can be done on the rears regardless of what shocks.

Koni vs. KYB is not a good comparison, just in case you think the shocks work the same way--they do not. Koni = Corvette, KYB = Chevette.

If you opt Koni you can get some lowering without springs. If it's enough, great. If not and you later move to lowering springs you have all the shock in the world to control them. Even if you stay on stock springs Koni's offer you more control, less impact harshness and a much better warranty. The price difference is more than "a little". I sell AGX's for $379.99, Koni's start @ $839.99/set.... and are worth every penny. Ask anyone, like 99FormulaM6r who has them, and many have had Koni's as well as other brands too--and can compare and contrast them for you.

I'll add this. The Koni's are on on sale, at times up to $95 off what the normal price is. That will not last forever, I'm offering that price on my own--it's not a Koni sale, I'm taking a hit doing it... but I'm doing what I can to help those wanting the better shocks get them at a more affordable price. That helps us both.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok that helps a lot then thanks. How much do you think the konis drop because that's what il probably get and if they don't drop enough then il get springs later
Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Around .5, some say .75" lower but that's not the average.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

That might actually be ok. Ill have larger 17 wheels so I wont need as much of a drop to fill the gap.

Quick Reply: Ride height with springs and shocks