Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4th gen Front coil overs into 3rd gen Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4th gen Front coil overs into 3rd gen Conversion

Has anyone done this conversion? Just curious if its possible and what kind of a hassle it is to do it? I am referring to stock 4th gen front suspension components. Thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Anything can be done with enough time and money but sometimes its just not practical. There is nothing whatsoever even similar to the two so everything would have to be fabricated. The first obstacle would be physically mounting the K-member. The two generations do not share any K-member mounting hole locations, both vertically or horizontally, so everything would have to be mocked up and mounts fabricated for all 6 K-member bolts. This will more than likely require notching the OE front frame rails and possibly even replacing them altogether to accommodate the correct mount locations.

Once a K-member was physically mounted that would take care of your engine mounts, rack mount, and lower A-arm mounting. Assuming this positions the motor in the proper location to not interfere with the firewall, the next major hurdle would be modifying the upper strut towers for upper A-arm mounts. The towers are stout enough but probably not large enough or shaped properly to accept an upper A-arm without a lot of fabrication and reinforcement. It may be possible to build a narrowed custom upper a-arm that would fit in the confines of the OE strut tower but the inclination angle of the 4th gen spindle is going to dictate your upper A-arm location which may or may not fall in the desired position within the strut tower. Altering the length of the upper A-arm to compensate would not be advisable as it would throw off your camber curve, defeating the whole reason for this upgrade in the first place.

It would probably be easier to cut the front of a 4th off from the firewall forward and graft it onto a 3rd gen. Still a lot of work but your suspension geometry would not be effected....

These examples just touch on what you will go through, there are still issues like track width differences, possible firewall interference, motor mounts (if you are not planning an LS swap), rack conversion, etc...
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input BMR, i like welding, but not that much... maybe ill attempt in a couple more cars ahead of this one.

Currently gathering parts for a 5.3 / T56 swap which kinda relates to why i asked. thanks again
Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 91FormulaKiller
Thanks for the input BMR, i like welding, but not that much... maybe ill attempt in a couple more cars ahead of this one.

Currently gathering parts for a 5.3 / T56 swap which kinda relates to why i asked. thanks again
No problem at all. I like fabricating too and would love to have the time to do projects like this but there is just not enough hours in the day as it is. In case you didn't know, we have the swap components to put the LS/T56 in your 3rd gen. If interested, the component links are listed below:

K-member

Trans X-member

Trans X-member w/torque arm mount
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: 4th gen Front coil overs into 3rd gen Conversion