Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bumpstop Pounding

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Bumpstop Pounding

Hey all! Just wanted to submit a problem I've been having to the discerning public.

I've installed the Strano lowering springs and Koni's all around. Single adjust. rear, and double adjust. front.

So the problem I've been having is this. If I hit a good bump now, the rear of my car bottoms out. Bad. Loud. I've only had this happen once or twice in the front, but I'm pretty sure my rear axle is slamming the hell out of my bump stops. So I guess my question is whether or not that's normal, or do I need to adjust my suspension? I have the rears set to medium firmness according to the literature provided by Koni. The problem happened more frequently when the rears were set to almost full soft.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Teching In

This is still good, right?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Also, check the new Fikses.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Slightly different angle. Hard to slide under my card with it on the ground and take pics with my phone.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Teching In

I just put the pictures up with my new wheels, but keep in mind the problem was there before the new wheels/tires. The only new problem since the wheel upgrade is a slight rubbing on the outer lip of the fender well.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Quick update. I just ordered the replacement bumpstops from Strano (jeep parts). Hopefully this will cutback on the harshness of the slams, but obviously won't keep it from happening. Am I stuck with this problem because of my mods? I went into the lowering and suspension mod situation knowing full well I could have clearance issues, but I'd like as much mitigation as possible.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Your suspension setup must be awfully soft. My car sits lower than yours and I've never had that happen. I'm using Eibach Sportline springs and Bilstein shocks. It's the same setup that I've been using since 1997.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Strano's and Koni's, you shouldn't have this kind of problem. Many rave about the ride quality with the Strano's and Koni's (I've never tried the springs). I think new bumpstops will really help with the feel, but just a quick question....did you keep your rear spring isolators in there? Also, not that it will help with your problem, but try turning down the rears to close to full soft.

BTW, you can condense all of that into one post for future reference
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump stops shouldn't have a loud slamming feel, they're an active part of the rear suspension. Are those the SLP bumpstop spacers on there? I don't remember my car having those, removing the spacer will give you a little extra travel before you hit the stop. And if it's already a harsh hit with the soft stock rubber bump stops I would think poly will be even worse, since it's stiffer.

Sick wheels though
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you rolled the fender lips yet?

FYI,another option is to install shaft mounted bumpstops, and completely remove the factory B.S.'s and there spacers. You can use a Koni 55mm B.S.'s, or a GroundControl soft strut B.S.'s. I've used both, and find the transition onto the B.S's smoother then the factory Z28 B.S's.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Fella's did you notice that he has no bumpstop left? And on top of that he's got the spacers in the car too...

Basically the car has no stops and lesser travel because the stops are shortening the available travel he has. There is no reason to do anything rash here. Some new stops, ideally without the spacers put back in will make a huge difference.

And I do have your order apollyon_01... I sold out last week and I'm waiting a shipment to arrive. I will run the order ASAP when they come back in.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

definitely need new bump stops. yours are almost completely disintegrated.

Quick Reply: Bumpstop Pounding