Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

People with Bilstein and Strano Springs, please come in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People with Bilstein and Strano Springs, please come in!

Just wondering how long have you had this setup and for how many miles. I know Koni is the best choice, but I dont have $1200 right now and my !wife mod is malfunctioning at the moment.

I've spoken with Sam a few times and he recommended Bilstein over KYB, with Koni as first choice. He also mentioned that overtime, Bilstein will lose its effectiveness.

So, people with bilstein and strano spring, how long and how many miles have you owned them, and what are your impression of that combo.

Thanks,

Sid.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Let me see if I can clear this up a little.

ALL shocks, like anything that does work, will wear. Bilstein's have less rebound control to start with than Koni's have available. Lowering springs require more rebound damping than stock springs since they are both stiffer and shorter. Team a shock with a lesser amount of damping with a spring that wants more damping control and at some point you will get to a place where the rebound isn't as good as it was when new.

I start Koni's at a setting higher than what the Bilstien's offer to start with, it's my *personal preference*. I also developed the springs on Koni's. But I run a moderate spring rate, so they are workable with Bilstien's as well. It's not what I prefer, but it's far from terrible and much better than other options.

Many will construe this as something like: 1Sam is saying Bilstein's suck and Koni's are the only choice. That's not the case, but it's true that prefer the Koni rebound control and adjustment.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion