Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Russell speed bleeders continue to bleed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Russell speed bleeders continue to bleed!!!

What a mess. Came back from a test drive for my new S60 rear and noticed a small puddle by both rear tires. Damn bleeders wouldn't stop leaking. Thankfully I only went ten miles. What gives?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was researching the difference between the russell and earls speed bleeder I noticed that the part number for the front and rear russell bleeders were the same and the earls had different part numbers. When I received the earls fittings the front and rears were definitely different and I believe the rear ones are longer.
If you are using the same part number for your front and rear calipers that is why they are leaking, the rear bleeder you have in there is too short.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
When I was researching the difference between the russell and earls speed bleeder I noticed that the part number for the front and rear russell bleeders were the same and the earls had different part numbers. When I received the earls fittings the front and rears were definitely different and I believe the rear ones are longer.
If you are using the same part number for your front and rear calipers that is why they are leaking, the rear bleeder you have in there is too short.
Makes sense... makes me mad also... my front and rears are the same. Dang it.
Little things like this make me
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, pretty stupid that russell lists a part that is not correct for the application. Even the earl bleeders are only good for 1-2 bleeds. The second time I used them the plunger got stuck. I replaced them with standard bleeder and use a Motive Bleeder now.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just pulled the Russells and compared them to the stock bleeder. They are too short and have a different shaped end that is larger than stocker. Put originals back in and sending Russells back. Thanks for the help... wish I could've talked to you about this before hand. Or is this common knowledge around here?
Anyway, it should be a sticky.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trik396
Just pulled the Russells and compared them to the stock bleeder. They are too short and have a different shaped end that is larger than stocker. Put originals back in and sending Russells back. Thanks for the help... wish I could've talked to you about this before hand. Or is this common knowledge around here?
Anyway, it should be a sticky.
Bingo!!! I just learned that lesson tonight. I bought these a few months ago, and I'm just doing shocks and brakes this weekend. I went to put in the Russell Speed Bleeders, and they are significantly different than the OE bleed fittings. I can't imagine that anyone at Russell / Edelbrock actually looked at one of these cars before specifying that bleeder.

Definately a dissappointment, and not my first. I had some stainless brake lines for a Honda Prelude I had, and the fittings were not compatible. Needless to say, I'm done buying Russell products.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can bleed the car with the stock bleeders by yourself with a variety of different methods. One of the things that is a problem with any of them is they have potential to start leaking if you do a lot of aggressive braking and heat up the fluid and in turn the bleeders (like at a track day for instance).

The absolute cheapest methods are to simply gravity drain, but that takes the longest. Otherwise you can also take a tube and place it into an old soda bottle with the end submerged in brake fluid... when you crack the bleeder it will slowly gravity drain... but since the end is submerged you can also pump the brake pedal which will push fluid out faster. When you release the pedal it will draw fluid from the brake fluid reservoir, not the tube / bottle. Just make sure you don't run out of fluid in the reservoir.

You can also get a pressure bleeder. Some people think the common ones that are available push a bit of air into the fluid solution. Also, I have seen a thread where one guy managed to explode his reservoir with one... he said he didn't overpressure it but who knows.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Russell's were to short for me also and leaked.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

for the stock calipers that are on my 2002, these are what i use and have had no problems for the last 7 or so years.
rears are 10mm x 1.0mm x 27mm, earls part # 280022erl
the fronts are 10mm x 1.0mm x 32mm, #280040erl

if you're using the same size all around, looks like your fronts are too short and not sealing.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

regarding bleeding and leaking, no speed bleeder is going to leak if its the correct size and the tip is the correct angle flare. it's a metal to metal fitting and no different than a regular bleeder screw once tightened down.
thing i noticed if you do use a power bleeder (i have the motive) that it will take extra pressure to move the brake fluid through the speed bleed, or it won't come out as fast, because you now have to overcome the spring pressure in the speed bleed screw. that was designed for you to manually pump the brakes to bleed which will create 50psi or more easily. with a power bleeder and pressurizing a plastic reservoir on the master cylinder you don't put more than 10-15 psi in it but you need about 10 psi to get the fluid past the speed bleeder at least i do for my earls.
and other tip for any one using a power bleeder, do not fill the power bleeder with brake fluid just use it as a pressurized air container. if the seal on your power bleeder to master reservoir leaks, which it will, then the res. fills up with brake fluid and makes a f'ing mess. the master reservoir is big enough so just fill it then pressurize with air, and stop bleeding when it gets low and repeat.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

This WKND I tred the Russell 639630 comparable to Speed Bleeders suggested shorter SB1010S and they were indeed to short and leaked all the way tight.

They could have used a few more threads.

I then tried Russell 639560 comparable to Speed Bleeders longer SB1010
And they fit great on my C5 brakes.

By the way my OEM bleeders came out the same size front and rear.

Russell bleeders are awesome!

I also bled with my Motive bleeder combined.

Quick Reply: Russell speed bleeders continue to bleed!!!