Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another Bilstein question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Bilstein question

Well I did a search and pretty much only found lowered cars or people that are planning to lower there cars. Here is my question

I have a 02 WS6 with 94,000 miles on it. The ride has been getting worse over the past year and I was looking into replacing the shocks and struts. I am just looking for a good stock replacement set and the Bilsteins look like a good choice. Now what ones should I get..

I found the Bilstein SLP's on WS6 store for 325.00 for the set and also on WS6 store they have the Bisleins HD'S for 360.00 a set. I have been doing alot of searching and I have gotton some mixed results. Some people say save your money and buy the SLP ones as they are the same as the HD's but only come with a 1yr warrenty as the HD's come with a lifetime warrenty. I also see people who say that the SLP ones are setup for lowered cars which my car is and will always be stock height.

So basically my car is a cruising car that sees the Drag strip 1-2 times a year. It has stock WS6 springs and I have no plans to lower the car in the future.. Which of the 2 would be best for me SLP Bilsteins or the HD Bilsteins?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you searched the topic, you'd find that it's pretty well recognized that there's very little difference between the two. Buy what you get the best price on.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

i paid 409 shipped from Strano for the SLPs.. I saw them a bit cheaper on ws6 but i figured I would go with him since he really helped me out, plus he helps everyone out here and a stand up guy. I mean he put up with my stupid questions. plus he said if I ever need some help call him and he will help with what he can. cant get that from ws6 im sure

EDIT: well damn! I just looked and saw that ws6 has free shipping for orders over $100 or more coulda saved myself a needed $80

Last edited by gav91183; 11-28-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get what's cheaper, since the valving is almost identical between the two.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone even said a while back on here that they called Bilstein and the SLP's also have the lifetime warrenty.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

cool. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I was just looking around, checking pricing... and I'm more than in the mix with the $409.99 shipped price. I'm cheaper than many, a little more than some (but have the free shipping which put me back on top or equal anyway). I see some pricing that doesn't seem to be current--but I can't sell product underpriced if someone isn't keeping up with their website or chooses to try and blow everyone out and make no money, I gots to pay the bills.

Summit quit carrying SLP. Jegs is $424/set, SLP is $424/set. Some others are around $400 +/- plus shipping or handling fees.... And again, it's easy when others can just sell something when I'm often the one doing the work on the base setups and finding out about current valvings, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I was just looking around, checking pricing... and I'm more than in the mix with the $409.99 shipped price. I'm cheaper than many, a little more than some (but have the free shipping which put me back on top or equal anyway). I see some pricing that doesn't seem to be current--but I can't sell product underpriced if someone isn't keeping up with their website or chooses to try and blow everyone out and make no money, I gots to pay the bills.

Summit quit carrying SLP. Jegs is $424/set, SLP is $424/set. Some others are around $400 +/- plus shipping or handling fees.... And again, it's easy when others can just sell something when I'm often the one doing the work on the base setups and finding out about current valvings, etc.
Your price if very good. Just that WS6 stores price is 325.00 shipped and I cant pass up on that price. Maybe they have a bigger percent discount from SLP? They might get them for 250.00 and mark them up to 325.00? I think it was a 20% discount on SLP products when I helped out at a Performance shop in Virginia. Thats what our discount was anyways. We would have gotten a bigger discount if we had a larger buy in we would have had a 25-30% discount. Miss thoughs days. We had a 40% discount on Mac products. I got my Ceramic coated headers and catted Y-pipe for 310 shipped using our discount. I know the guy who owned the shop called his suppliers every month to see if he could get a better discount. Some suppliers like Steeda and Mac gave him a better discount due to how much he purchased from them.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Jegs and the like buy at the biggest discount possible. I suspect the pricing is just wrong, or they are using it as a loss leader. If someone jumps off a bridge, I'm not going to follow.... I have no idea why or how they are at that price, I know what the maximum discount level is from SLP, I guess they are happy to make no money. I can't pay my bills that way, and when I look around I see that I'm more than in the mix with everyone else.

I guess, if they have them and want to sell them for that price--I can't say anything other than, let me know. If they have confirmed good stock, I might be able to get a little closer for you, but not to that price.

Interesting note. A few years back, a competitor of mine had made a mistake on Koni pricing. I had folks wanting me to match the price which was 50% off. It was clear what they had done. Koni's price the shocks individually, but box them in pairs. Someone messed up and assumed the price was "per box". I tried to tell them as they were not only losing their shirts, but causing me trouble over it too. I was ignored. About a month later, they called and said thanks... they lost over $5,000 over it. Maybe they are selling them at that price on purpose, maybe not. I don't know. All I do know is I can't sell them for that.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Another Bilstein question