Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rack and pinion reseal kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rack and pinion reseal kit

Anyone ever resealed there rack instead of replacing the whole damn thing? I found the rebuild kit for either 24.00 or 41.00 depending on which RPO but just wondered if anyone has had any luck doing this or if its even worth trying. The rack is 245.00 to replace and I figured I need the 41.00 kit, I have a realy bad leak coming out of the input shaft of the rack and it is dumping ps fluid all over the place.

Last edited by beedo; 12-01-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Wondering the same thing, have not found any posts. Mine is leaking and I ordered the seal kit today, should have it in 2 days. I figured it doesn't work out I am only out a few bucks and will then go with a rebuilt one.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

you can get a rack from parts train for 200 for a good one and look at it like this new inner tierods are 150 so y not get a rack with new inners?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

One reason is that the V8 and Y87 V6 racks have a faster ratio than the standard V6 racks. Yet the parts distributors list one piece for both. We replaced the rack on my son's Y87 V6 several years ago rather than just doing the tie rod ends, and the steering has never felt the same. The reman replacement must have been a standard V6 piece - a bummer.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FOSTER21
you can get a rack from parts train for 200 for a good one and look at it like this new inner tierods are 150 so y not get a rack with new inners?
A little higher than that, Parts Train is $278.42 if you go with the reman AC Delco, even autozone is $236.99 Most of the remans comes with inner tie rods but they really don't say if they are new, I know they won't be Moog parts.

I just found a guy called Rack Doctor that is quite a bit cheaper than anyone else. $99.95 plus $15 shipping to you and $18 shipping for core return.
Anyone ever use this guy? http://shop.rackdoctor.net/main.sc

I think I will still give the kit a try (should be here tomorrow) as I have good tie rods and don't really want to replace them with Chinese ones but also don't want to pay for new Moogs.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Update, I talked to a couple of mechanics that know alot more than me and they said don't try the reseal kit, it is hard to get it back together and easy to mess up one seal and still be leaking. I went with the Rack Doctor rack and some new Moog tie rod ends, car is tighter now and of course no more leak. Best deal on the tie rod ends was Amazon.
The hard part of this job is the driver side rack bolt. You must disconnect both motor mounts and jack up the engine to get this bolt out. I have haerd that some people cut it, buy a new bolt and install upside down but I couldn't get a saw in there and did not have a torch.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

a saw is not that hard to get in there.......i used a sawzall with a short blade......did the trick
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Camaros
Update, I talked to a couple of mechanics that know alot more than me and they said don't try the reseal kit, it is hard to get it back together and easy to mess up one seal and still be leaking. I went with the Rack Doctor rack and some new Moog tie rod ends, car is tighter now and of course no more leak. Best deal on the tie rod ends was Amazon.
The hard part of this job is the driver side rack bolt. You must disconnect both motor mounts and jack up the engine to get this bolt out. I have haerd that some people cut it, buy a new bolt and install upside down but I couldn't get a saw in there and did not have a torch.
How quick was the mailing and core refunding process through rack dr? Ive already replaced my rack once for the leaking top seal and now not even a month later ive got the same leak. I bought a used one for $60 but i found out i had some bad slop in the intermediate shaft. So im thinking thats is my problem cause the seal to break. Anyways im tryn to decided wether to get another used or go through rack dr depending on your experience.

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion reseal kit