Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ws6 springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ws6 springs/shocks

I was just wondering if the ws6 shocks/springs are any good compared to non ws6(trans am) setup, or if its just a waste of money and get a set of bilstein or stranos. thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bilstein is far superior to stock. Koni is superior to Bilstein. Any ?'s call Sam Strano.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Ahhh, the answer is... it depends.

WS6 shocks are better than the regular shocks, valving wise. That doesn't make them great, but less poor. Of course that's when new. All shocks degrade some over time, part of the trouble with the GM shocks is that even the ones that aren't hateful aren't far from not so hot--and as miles go on they work worse and worse.

Springs.... some up to sometime in 2000 WS6's had 1LE (stiffer) springs. After they got the same springs as the regular cars. FWIW, when I bought my Z28 I opted for a '01 despite the spring difference as I think the 1LE's are actually too stiff in the rear. So that's not a deal breaker.

I don't know if you want to, or need to change springs..... but I can say with almost 100% certainty that you want to upgrade the shocks to something better than some slightly better some other GM shocks. There is two things GM wasn't good at (and sometimes it's still true). Interiors and shocks. Great engines, but man those two areas are really lacking.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-25-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is two things GM wasn't good at (and sometimes it's still true). Interiors and shocks. Great engines, but man those two areas are really lacking.
Ahh the dreaded downfall of the infamous f-body...

That and the damn 10 bolt... what the hell was GM thinking?