Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Downside to Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Groud control 650 front 175 rear. Took 10 mins to raise back up and I have winter tires on and enjoyng the winter cant do that without em !
Old 01-01-2011, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO just stick with the Penske shocks for the rear, since you'll be putting them up front.
Good luck!
That would be best but I would like to find a used set and just have my buddy rebuild them. Also, stuck my new Penske's on the shock dyno today with great results. Looking forward to spring and the install.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

Pics!!!!!......and some of the car too
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Train wreck?
he was implying that Sam Strano (someone with a LOT of suspension experience) was going to come in here and give you advice.

then he would in turn start talking **** to Sam, like he always does, pretending that people actually take his(mitchntx's) advice. 99.9% of people can see that he's got some chip on his shoulder and has to flex his internet muscles at Sam for no reason at all
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
Pics!!!!!......and some of the car too
Of the new shocks?? Only pics I have of my car all have my GF in them and the thread is in the A&D section as seen here,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...my-car-gf.html
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ec_nova
he was implying that Sam Strano (someone with a LOT of suspension experience) was going to come in here and give you advice.

then he would in turn start talking **** to Sam, like he always does, pretending that people actually take his(mitchntx's) advice. 99.9% of people can see that he's got some chip on his shoulder and has to flex his internet muscles at Sam for no reason at all

Actually, I was referring to nutswingers like you ...

enjoying that hard earned money while you have it, because of morons like you we will all be speaking chinese in a few years and working for pennies.

"offer a better price" do you even know how businesses work? at all? Sam isn't buying 1,000 sets of shocks and selling them at small profit like most websites with huge warehouses.

Unlike those websites, when you call Sam, YOU GET SAM, someone with knowledge, experience, etc. who can point you in the right direction.

From this thread ...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-springs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUc3wd4It8g

Old 01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Actually, I was referring to nutswingers like you ...

From this thread ...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-springs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUc3wd4It8g

you DO realize that YOU are the one that brought on the whole "train wreck" as you call it, right? also you're the one who started the **** in the thread you JUST referenced?

I would seriously consider counseling and a good multivitamin if I were you because there is definitely something wrong in your head. Did Sam bang your high school crush or something??
Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Hey guys, please knock off the bickering in my thread. I had a feeling that this would happen as you can tell from my posts on the first page. If it isn't related to coil overs and such please save it for a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

GC, sleeve overs and what not, ftw! I decided thats what i want to end up getting as far a lowering/stance.. I can see getting alignments done all the time if your constantly changing the height being expensive. That and the work of puting it up, adjusting, setting back down and doing it till u like it.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Well 99Bluz28 hooked me up with a good deal on his old setup so I bought it. I purchased it for the ability to be able to switch front spring rates easily and adjust the ride height to where I want it, not where everyone else thinks it should be

I still need to order some stiffer front springs, the ones I have now are 550# and I would like to get some 625-650# to keep my 315s off the front fenders. But then again, I haven't even driven the car with the setup or even installed it for that matter. But its edelbrock coilovers for the front and IAS shocks in the rear. The rear will be air bags instead of coil springs (just trying it out no bashing). I'll probably use this setup for a couple years and then switch to konis, but who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with it
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

God forbid!

I'm not going to say a word, because frankly I don't need the hassle with Mitch. You guys can thank him for me keeping out of this. No train wreck here, it's not leaving the station.

814-849-3450 if you want to discuss.

Coil-overs can be cool if you have a need for them. They are also more work, more money, could well void the shock warranty. And fwiw, my springs are derived directly from the rates and heights I found worked best on my car (on coil-overs).

That's about it. Have a nice night.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You guys can thank him for me keeping out of this.
LOL ...

I did stay out and Sam's Club still came in and trashed this thread and the I love me thread.

So point the finger all you want ... it ain't me trashing threads.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

how did I trash this thread?????? Exactly. Please tell me. I'm dying to know.

Isn't the question "Downside to coilovers"???????????? Wow. Just. Wow.

Edit: You know what, forget it. Not worth the bandwidth. If anyone would like my arrogant, cocky, self-loving, based on nothing, opinion (according to Mitch anyway), I'm not hard to find.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sheeesh, Sam ... chill out.

Re-read ... I said "Sam's Club" not "Sam".
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

I like ya Sam don't worry. I have bought from you before (springs) and did plan to get some Bilsteins or Koni's from you but I had a change of plans when my buddy offered to help me valve up some Penske's and dyno my shocks for my. He is sponsered by Penske and it makes it nice when it comes to having all the tools and spare parts laying around. I do plan to get a set of your sways in the Spring. I don't mind the extra work of setting up the CO's.

edit: Oh and a Watts Link
Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Default Coil over approach

I'm going the coil-over route because I like tinkering. I'm stoked because my shocks arrive Friday from Unbalanced Engineering. Jason has valved a set of Penske 7500 DA for me. He also suggested this adjustable perch (weight jacker) set up for the rear. I already have Koni DA on the back as I have a 12 bolt and my Bilsteins didn't have enough rebound dampening for the extra weight.

I put this set up in for around $200 in the rear. they are 5" x 8" springs. It has 150# springs now but I think I'm going to go up to 175#. Jason probably didn't realize I have 200# worth of stereo amps and another 75# worth of sound dampening. Daily Driver required conviences!
This shows stock/ heater hose/ new comparison

I have enough room to move the bump stop inside, this will make for more room in the wheel wells for 315's.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a nice setup man. I would like to match up my rear with some used Penske's and maybe fab up a coil over setup in the rear if I can't find some bolt in's.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
I put this set up in for around $200 in the rear. they are 5" x 8" springs. It has 150# springs now but I think I'm going to go up to 175#. Jason probably didn't realize I have 200# worth of stereo amps and another 75# worth of sound dampening. Daily Driver required conviences!
I am assuming the stereo gear is in the trunk well at the very back?

25#s sounds a little light to me. That location is cantilevered over the mounting point, creating a lot leverage.

Report back on how the lower spring perches work out. I've looked at those and just never ordered any to test.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Sheeesh, Sam ... chill out.

Re-read ... I said "Sam's Club" not "Sam".
What are you ******* 3???

Enough with the dick sizing contest you don't like Sam, I'm sure theres a few more out there (no offense Sam) but you don't see them go around trashing other guys threads. Just ******* drop it

Now back on topic, the adjustable rear perch is a nice option, I looked into that but decided to go with air bags in the rear. Then I'll have adjustablility and a smooth ride. The only thing I'm worried about is the spring rate of the bags, but theres only one way to find out and I got a killer deal on the bags. If I don't like them I'm going to go with the adjustable lower perches like pictured
Old 01-04-2011, 02:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I am assuming the stereo gear is in the trunk well at the very back?

25#s sounds a little light to me. That location is cantilevered over the mounting point, creating a lot leverage.

Report back on how the lower spring perches work out. I've looked at those and just never ordered any to test.
How scientific... 25 lbs/in is a big change on a light sprung car. 150 to 175 is only about a 16% change. 125 to 150 is about a 17% change.... and that's 25 lbs. per inch, times two springs. That's quite a large difference in fact.

And let's not forget that the car already weighs about 1600 pounds out back. While some more weight will matter you don't need to go jumping off the deep end on rate to compensate. Especially if you aren't running a slammed height.

Quick Reply: Downside to Coilovers?