Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Shocks: My supply chain--the how and why of it all.... and a note about springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Koni Shocks: My supply chain--the how and why of it all.... and a note about springs

This is response to something mentioned in another thread by another vendor regarding my sales of Koni dampers and the fact I do not generally buy direct from Koni North America.

I do not buy Koni directly, and there are a number of very excellent reasons I do not.

1. I'm an not restricted by their Minimum Pricing Policies, and since other companies I compete with aren't always hand-cuffed by that, this gives me more flexibility to work on better prices for customers.

2. Buying Koni from a number of WD's around the country insures a deep and more constant supply of shocks to draw from, and also shortens shipping times since I have warehouses in CA, MI, FL, IN, and NY as well as from my shop here in PA..... AND can drop ship product directly from Koni North America in Hebron, KY if I have the need to do so.

3. It's better for my bottom line, and that's savings I can pass along to you. Not only is there the MAP pricing thing, but I buy lots of volume and that gives me a little leverage with my various suppliers to keep the prices down. This is one case where having a "middle-man" is not a bad thing.

4. You are not invited to be a Koni direct distributor... if you pony up the money, and agree to carry the stock they want, you're in. I've discussed it with Koni more than once and could by the quantities direct, but it makes more sense for me to not buy at the lowest price (believe it or not) because of the things listed above. I can get parts shipped quicker, often for less money, and have access to much better stock. Also I don't have to pay for more employees to stock, inventory, and ship the product. I also don't have to store it, or pay tax on the inventory either. All of which goes back to my point #3...... And fwiw, I can and have bought direct as well in the past--and might again. Generally the high end 28 series race shocks. But I did buy my Mustang shocks direct (which in fact were the very first set in the USA).

As for not being an "Authorized dealer". Ok.. I have a sign on my door that says otherwise, and if you call Koni and talk to say the man in charge of street shocks he'll know who I am. In fact I know him on a face to face basis and spend over an hour with him @ Solo Nationals this year.... And supplied him one of my OEM 2011 Mustang struts to look over so Koni can make production shocks for that car. Back when I did the setup for the GMHTP Magazine car, Koni hooked them up with the shocks knowing full well who was doing to suspension setup on that car--and in fact supplied the shocks I requested (which are not the set listed in the catalog). Does that sound like some fly-by-night operation that Koni has no knowledge of? I don't think so.

Warranty concerns: None. Koni's warranty is theirs, they handle it directly (should you need to redeem it), and are very good about warranty service.

And finally on the Koni shock front: I didn't start selling Koni's this year... Others here did, "authorized" or not. I have had Koni's on my own Z28 since I bought the car in September of 2000.... All but two of my National Championships have been on Koni dampers--that's 2 out of 15. Nobody else here can claim that level of experience with the product. I have knowledge, details, and information about the product that NOBODY else here can match, period........... and I give that knowledge to customers, and do it for a better price too.

And a note about springs. I will readily admit my springs are made in Germany and not in the USA. That does add some cost because of shipping, but also the material I use is more expensive. I make the conscious decision to continue with what made Strano springs what they are. I could bail and get them made cheaper, even with the same rates--and the same look. But they wouldn't actually BE THE SAME. I'm not like others, I can't just change what makes a product good mid-stream because wind starts blowing the other way.

Yes, I'm aware that my having the ***** to stand up and speak my mind might create some crap, it always seems to **** someone off which I hate... but I do have a business to run. I am a paying advertiser on this site, and I can only take so much for so long before I just have to call things like I see 'em. I'm sorry in advance if an issue arises, it's not my intent... the intent is simply to put some hard solid facts on the table and let you all understand some of the in's and out's of business and parts supply, and just why I make the decisions I do. I believe it's important to be honest with folks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sam, if people can't deal with the truth, they're always free to go elsewhere. That's the beauty of living in America!!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELL SAID! I DONT THINK MANY PEOPLE KNOW YOU RUN A ONE MAN SHOP AND DO A DAMN GOOD JOB OF IT!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sam , bmr cliams his springs are the lites, I thought you did.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

I thought it was funny that the other guy is selling hollow sway bars too. I had a solid bar from them before(circa 2004) and wasn't impressed. Its a shame the parts on my car built for speed u can't see.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry ...

Last edited by mitchntx; 12-16-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: not worth it
Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I still don't understand why people question Sam. Yes it's always good to question things and not be a sheep.

However. If there were more people out here like Sam, WE would be buying/driving better and faster cars.

Everyone want's to talk **** about Sam. Chase him around the track then come back and talk.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Your page is the first one I went to when I needed replacement parts.

Why buy a replacement when you could buy an upgrade from an SCCA Pro-Solo winner for nearly the same price? Exactly.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Sam will have my business because he was helpful and is always willing to help. I got shocks/struts from him a few weeks ago and were in my house in 3 days. Havent had a chance to put them on because car got in a wreck
Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Teching In

I talked to Sam on the phone perhaps a year ago. He knew damned well that I wasn't going to buy then, or possibly at all (though it looks like I finally will). He gave me more information than I knew what to do with and was down to earth about explaining things. He has an intuition that is rare. He seems to almost hear a "click" over the phone when you get what he is saying and moves on. It was remarkable.

I am looking at an FBody and have asked some questions in this section. I think Sam might have been the responding post 1 in every 3 times during a discussion and I think has posted at least once in EVERY thread I have posted.

I do not know what the situation was and frankly I do not care. All I can say is that Sam Strano will have my business whether his shocks were made at the south pole, or he gets his Konis off of the back of a warehouse truck (well, maybe).

Sam, thank you,
Lawrence
Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Sam's experience and customer service speaks for itself. The detractors don't know what they're missing! ...their loss.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought from Sam and will continue to do so. Bravo Sam!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man, I can't wait to install my Koni 4/4 and Strano springs!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I still don't understand why people question Sam. Yes it's always good to question things and not be a sheep.
It's not the questioning, it's the subsequent drama
Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Teching In

All I can say is that Sam is The Man! He set me up with a set of Koni 4/4, His Springs (F/R), His Hollow Sway Bars, Adj Pan Hard Bar, Brake Fluid, etc. Sam has walked me through installations and he has been available to talk setup & give good advise. Priceless in my book. So I have and will continue to send Sam my business.

Brandon
2000 Camaro SS (#03 HSAX)
Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
It's not the questioning, it's the subsequent drama
Mitch isn't it hard to see the keyboard to type through those rose tinted glasses?
Since when does a sponsor explaining himself because of some idiot questioning him make him "love himself"?
I guess I have to remind you again, you do the same thing when questioned:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/13700650-post77.html
Time to grow up old man, its getting old...
Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam is a straight up guy and his springs are top notch. I love my Koni/Strano setup and I can't wait to buy his sways to complete my suspension upgrades.

I know there is tons of hatred for Sam just because he suggests a better product than what some ppl want to hear. If you don't like what someone says, don't take the advice and do what you may think is "better" than what someone else suggests. It's all an opinionated thing.

I was going to go the cheaper route and get Bilstein SLP shocks, but I said forget it, I'll pony up and get the Koni's. Do it once and get my money out of it. I've asked Sammultiple questions various times and every time he has helped me understand. He actually talked me out of buying relocation brackets from him...how many business owners are going to do that?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

it's the subsequent drama
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Mitch isn't it hard to see the keyboard to type through those rose tinted glasses?
Since when does a sponsor explaining himself because of some idiot questioning him make him "love himself"?
I guess I have to remind you again, you do the same thing when questioned:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/13700650-post77.html
Time to grow up old man, its getting old...
I knew I could count on you to prove my point.

Happy Holidays, dude.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Happy Holidays, dude.
and to you as well and where's the link to your personal website/videos ? I enjoy watching you run
Old 12-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Quick Reply: Koni Shocks: My supply chain--the how and why of it all.... and a note about springs