Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How necessary is a upgraded rear sway bar for a 1/4 mile set up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How necessary is a upgraded rear sway bar for a 1/4 mile set up.

ok well im just trying to peace together the last of my suspension parts for my trans am, and im just kinda of wondering how important is the rear sway bar(im not taking it of the car).

So far i have the following suspension parts, and my goal is to go low 11's, high 10's

adj torque arm
adj lower control arms w/relocation brackets
tq arm relocation bracket
subframes
driveshaft loop
strut tower brace

The only thing im stuck on is a sway bar for the rear, the car is not going to be faster then 10's so im just wondering should i just leave the stock one upgrade to a 25mm one or should i go with like a BMR Xtreme torque arm. The car is a daily driver so i dont know if going with the Xtreme will be somewhat street friendly or even necessary. Thanks

Last edited by witry; 12-25-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-sway-bar.htmlI say get a tunnel mount torque arm.
Edit: if you upgrade your rear sway bar and not match your front sway bar you're car will handle poorly. Tunnel mount torque arm has more weight transfer than the full length but people say that when they downshift it clunks, and when they launch it clunks against the tunnel and also it causes you to feel the road a little bit more. I THINK the torque arm is a better/safer compromise for a DD than a bigger rear sway bar. My 2 cent's.

Last edited by mesterious; 12-25-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

I would definitely upgrade it. you'll be fine with a stock style 1" bolt in bar.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

how does the car launch? does it twist or come off the line fairly straight? a new swaybar will help the car launch straighter. if you have all those other parts, you really might as well at least get a stock style aftermarket sway bar.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have not been to the track yet with this set up, thats why im kinda wondering and asking so i can get everything done and go all out when i go to the track.

also like mentioned before will my ride quality suffer alot with just a rear upgraded sway bar, money is kinda tight with christmas so i just have enough for the rear for now, i was planning of unbolting the front sway bar at the track anyways to get more weight transfer, and in a month or two get the front sway bar.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by witry
i have not been to the track yet with this set up, thats why im kinda wondering and asking so i can get everything done and go all out when i go to the track.

also like mentioned before will my ride quality suffer alot with just a rear upgraded sway bar, money is kinda tight with christmas so i just have enough for the rear for now, i was planning of unbolting the front sway bar at the track anyways to get more weight transfer, and in a month or two get the front sway bar.
Your car will be more tail happy with the drag sway bar, when you d/d the car. thats the draw back.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what i was thinking but was not sure about it being tail happy... i know speed engineering has drag bags for f bodys so i think im just going to pick one up and see how it goes.

http://speed-eng.com/store/suspensio...22_58_347.html
Old 12-26-2010, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by witry
thats what i was thinking but was not sure about it being tail happy... i know speed engineering has drag bags for f bodys so i think im just going to pick one up and see how it goes.

http://speed-eng.com/store/suspensio...22_58_347.html
I like that idea! I was thinking about picking some of these up.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is also running low elevens on drag radials. I have the an Airlift drag bag in my right rear coil spring. I experimented with the pressure until the car would launch level. It ended up being about 26 psi. My buddy filmed the car from the rear with and without the bag inflated and the difference was dramatic. The right rear used to dip about 5 inches lower than the left. Now it is perfectly level.

The car is MUCH more consistant with the launch now. Before it was hit or miss whether the car would hook up. With the bag the car hooks 95% of the time now.

A bigger rear sway bar will do the same thing but with big downsides during street driving. Once I'm done racing I just deflated the bag and everything is back to normal.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
My car is also running low elevens on drag radials. I have the an Airlift drag bag in my right rear coil spring. I experimented with the pressure until the car would launch level. It ended up being about 26 psi. My buddy filmed the car from the rear with and without the bag inflated and the difference was dramatic. The right rear used to dip about 5 inches lower than the left. Now it is perfectly level.

The car is MUCH more consistant with the launch now. Before it was hit or miss whether the car would hook up. With the bag the car hooks 95% of the time now.

A bigger rear sway bar will do the same thing but with big downsides during street driving. Once I'm done racing I just deflated the bag and everything is back to normal.
Thats pretty much what i wanted to hear, thanks. Ordering the bag tomorrow then.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The bags will definitely work better for a DD. We typically recommend the anti-roll bar for street/strip cars running faster than 11's. It will definitely make your 60 ft. times more consistent but is not recommended for daily use. That being said, we have tons of customers running on the street with no front sway bar and an anti-roll bar in the rear. It's not as bad as many think, you just can't take off ramps at 50 mph in the rain or you'll be in the grass. Still my recommendation for your daily driver would be bags, if the car gets gets much faster or you get a second vehicle then go the anti-roll bar route...
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ thanks for that info. Do you guys have the bags for Fbodys?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you look into running an adjustable rear sway bar? Strano makes one that can be used to match his front 35mm sway bar, or you can remove the front bar and tighten up the back when you get to the strip. No drawbacks for a DD/corner carver/drag car....just set it up the way you want for the situation.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7
Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Springs/shocks are a huge part of launching a car.. you need to look into incorporating a set into your susp plans

Quick Reply: How necessary is a upgraded rear sway bar for a 1/4 mile set up.