Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problems with urithane bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Problems with urithane bushings...

I have a UMI T-arm with a trans relocaton bracket, and a poly mount. I also have poly bushings on the factory rear sway bar. When I go over some bumps, I really feel it on my center console. I tried to look for a rubber T-arm bushing, but no luck. If I change the sway bar bushings back to factory rubber, do u thing the problem will go away?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You'd get more from changing both bushings back to rubber. Not sure if the stocker will fit on the UMI torgue arm. Call UMI. The poly bushings on the sway bar will eventually distort, and then your sway bar will be lose and bang around in them. Plastic is not rubber, once it deforms it stays that way.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
You'd get more from changing both bushings back to rubber. Not sure if the stocker will fit on the UMI torgue arm. Call UMI. The poly bushings on the sway bar will eventually distort, and then your sway bar will be lose and bang around in them. Plastic is not rubber, once it deforms it stays that way.
I have used poly end links and bushings for decades on all sorts of cars and never had that problem. Only thing I have experienced is groaning or squeaking from lack of lube. Never any distortion.

Then again I did not think a person could install a sway bar upside down, but I have seen it. So anything is possible.

To the OP your noise is most likely because the TA is relocated channeling more noise to the cabin as a result. Talk to UMI they are good guys to deal with.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running a polyurethane transmission mount?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Are you running a polyurethane transmission mount?
I was, and then put the stock one back. That took care of the rythmic vibrations.
Do you guys sell a rubber version of the T-arm bushing? I think that might solve my problem...
Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
I was, and then put the stock one back. That took care of the rythmic vibrations.
Do you guys sell a rubber version of the T-arm bushing? I think that might solve my problem...
No we don't and in all honestly I don't think that is the issue. On our polyurethane torque arm bushings we use a softer durometer material, so the polyurethane on this bushing is softer than poly found in a transmission mount, motor mount and similar items.

The feel of bumps is going to happen with the torque arm relocation kit. The relocation kit is mounted directly to the floor and the torque arm is mounted directly to it. A slightly increase is harshness is going to be inevitable with this set up.

Hope this helps,
Ryan
Old 12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This sucks. I wonder if I go back to factory bushings on the rear sway bar if it would help...

Quick Reply: Problems with urithane bushings...