Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Parking Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
tx3
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking Brake Problem

Hello all,

So, I snapped my ebrake cable a few weeks ago.. Everything was working OK before this happened.. my parking brake worked fairly well.. NOT the best but worked.. Now the issue.. I installed a new cable last night.. The parking brake doesnt seem to be engaging fully.. I pull the handle up literally 90* and it doesnt fully engage the brake.. I still roll when on a hill for some reason.. Is there anything I can check under the console? Or anything I can adjust? It's cold here in Chicago.. and it definitely sucks having to put a tire chock just to warm my car up :p

Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by tx3
Hello all,

So, I snapped my ebrake cable a few weeks ago.. Everything was working OK before this happened.. my parking brake worked fairly well.. NOT the best but worked.. Now the issue.. I installed a new cable last night.. The parking brake doesnt seem to be engaging fully.. I pull the handle up literally 90* and it doesnt fully engage the brake.. I still roll when on a hill for some reason.. Is there anything I can check under the console? Or anything I can adjust? It's cold here in Chicago.. and it definitely sucks having to put a tire chock just to warm my car up :p

Thanks
Not sure what Chicago you live in, but my Chicago is 55 degrees today. ... but tornados are coming this afternoon.

Sounds like your brake was out of adjustment a bit before the snap. Usually this happens when new rear rotors are put on the car and the brake isn't adjusted for them. (This may be adding to the issues.)

The first thing you should check is the play in the levers that the cables attach to at the back of each disk. If the brakes are adjusted properly (inside the drum) the lever should just move a few mm. If it moves a lot, there could be something out of place inside the drum.

Can you post a pic of how the new cable looks under the car?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
tx3
Launching!

Sure, ill post a pic.. but Im gonna pull the rotors off and adjust.. I figured that was the problem.. When I redid the rear rotors I never adjusted the parking brake..
Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem, only nothing snapped, I just changed rear pads recently and noticed shortly after my parking brake sucked. Not clear on how to adjust the cable back to normal? I used to be able to put it in drive with the ebrake on and it wouldn't move. In fact I went around the front of the car in my driveway with the brake on and in drive to hear a noise that was only heard in drive, then I noticed the **** poor Ebrake only a matter of days after that....scary, could smashed my garage door, or myself into the garage door.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

there is an adjusting star on the bottom of the backing plate with the e-brake. Use it to adj the e-brake.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Problem