Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm prob!!! Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm prob!!! Please help!!!

So I get my car on the hoist and lift it I see my torque arm bushing is broken so now the torque arm was bangin on my tranny wen I came to a stop ppl are tellin me to get a adj torque arm but I don't plan on lowering my car. Should I get a reg edlebrock none adj and buy a panhard bar and lower control arms cuz that will cost me around 330 bucks for a these items if i get a adj torque arm it's about 320 bucks....should go with the edlebrock torque arm with all the goodies or just a adj torque arm???? Also can I buy a bushing to replace the broken bushing?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my $0.02 worth...

If you're going to spend the money, and take the time to install any aftermarket suspension parts, I recommend that you buy the adjustable parts. If you decide to make any modifications in the future, you'll already have the adjustability to dial in everything correctly, without having to buy more parts.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1TAUTO
Also can I buy a bushing to replace the broken bushing?
That's what I would do ... replace the bushing and move on.

If at some point in time you begin making monster power and are having difficulty in hooking or experiencing tremendous braking wheel hop, then an adjustable or de-coupled torque arm would be a good item to have.

But at that point, 300 bones is chump change when compared to power adders or monster brake kits.

Stock torque arms are just fine for a lowered car. Many have done it and are doing it today with little or no problems.

Spend your money where there is a return.

My $.02
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

If you're not launching the car hard the stock torque arm will be fine for normal driving. If you do upgrade go with a good one like UMI or BMR most edelbrock products for our cars suck. Adj is a nice option so you can really dial in your pinion angle but it is not something you have to have
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry guys but wats a pinion angle?????? Well I def need a panhard bar my rear cenetering Is all outa whack. Wat about lower control arms do I need to have adj ones?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

The torque arm holds your pinion angle it should be at -2. You do not need adj lcas unless you're running a taller tire and need to center the wheel in the wheel well. The on thing I would suggest when you lower the car other then the adj phb is control arm location brackets
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

i wld do the tq arm relocation to get the stress off the tranny.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1TAUTO
So I get my car on the hoist and lift it I see my torque arm bushing is broken so now the torque arm was bangin on my tranny wen I came to a stop ppl are tellin me to get a adj torque arm but I don't plan on lowering my car. Should I get a reg edlebrock none adj and buy a panhard bar and lower control arms cuz that will cost me around 330 bucks for a these items if i get a adj torque arm it's about 320 bucks....should go with the edlebrock torque arm with all the goodies or just a adj torque arm???? Also can I buy a bushing to replace the broken bushing?
If all the parts in your sig really are "coming soon" as your sig suggests then I would probably bite the bullet and invest the money in a torque arm. It is not absolutely necessary to get an adjustable torque arm but the cost difference is generally so minimal that you might as well. The torque arm will come with a new bushing, btw.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We offer a torque arm and cross member that would work rather well with what it seems you are trying to build. It gets the torque arm off the transmission, and comes with a drive shaft safety loop.

It is a bolt in application and is $430 shipped.

In this picture you will see our LCA in chrome-moly along with our LCA relocation brackets.

Last edited by MidwestChassis; 01-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Hi,
the aforementioned articles will help you with your project for now and future modifications. The vendors on this site are very reputable and helpful. Good look and use proper safety to avoid injury......we want you around for along time....have a blessed day...........jim