Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how does 15x10 rears and skinnies affect handling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how does 15x10 rears and skinnies affect handling?

I love the look of the big tire/small tire old school muscle car. I want you guys to be honest and describe how driving you car changed after you put 15" rears with narrow fronts on your car. ABS work okay? Does the car still handle close to factory?What is your combo? Fitment issues?
thanks to all that post.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

please tell me you aren't serious...
Old 02-10-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you definitly dont want to go ripping around corners w/ a skinny on the front.

JR
Old 02-10-2004, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, I am serious and I understand the obvious. I have been building cars since 1977. I just wonder if these F-bodies can handle the fat/skinny tire combo better than an old school car which handled like crap from the factory. I don't intend 3.5 up front. I plan a 6-8" rim up front with a 205 or 225 tire.
thanks.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 3.5's are that bad. In fact, other than cornering they "feel" better than the 275/17's.

With a radial on the back, the car drives fine. With the ET Streets, it does have a little "wiggle", that should be expected when running bias ply on the back and skinny radials in the front.

I drive mine back and forth to the track, usually a 100 or so miles each way without issues.. I just have to remember what tires I have on
Old 02-10-2004, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
With the ET Streets, it does have a little "wiggle", that should be expected when running bias ply on the back and skinny radials in the front.
A little wiggle? Wow, that's an understatement. I call it "float". The rear just floats around with this wallowing, swaying kind of feeling at hwy speed. As much as I hate to switch tires at the track, I don't have a choice with my fave track 230 miles one way. Hopefully the new MT drag radial is better in that regard (hopefully in line with a 16" Nitto DR).

You will have issues with the ABS though with a hard stop, fitments issues include grinding the calipers. Handling compared to factory tires/wheels is seriously compromised with that setup.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Okay - so now it seems kinda like the old car guys used to debate! Some think like John and as long as they respect the tires they don't mind the change. Others are more effected by the baby carriage feeling that a tall side wall gives in the back. I'll attach pics of what I used to drive all weekend long. Those are 15x12 rears with 31x16.5 Sportsmans. 15x7 up front with 205/65/15 radials. BLKTA: like you said - "float"!!
Same thing - okay as long as I remembered what I was driving!
Sounds like that "slot - car" handling will be gone but I can still drive on the highway (drag radials) and be safe as long as I don't try any NASCAR stunts. Just like the old cars. So it's all about the "look" and a little weight loss.
With Bogarts as John has I don't think grinding is an issue.
Anyone else drive their fat/skinny tires on the street? What will/won't my ABS do with the new combo?
thanks!
Old 02-11-2004, 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

ABS inop light comes on after the first mile with my setup. The lights on the dash "remind" me of what tires I have on Even with the light on, I've never had a problem stopping. Even in wonderful DC beltway traffic. (70 to 0 to 70)

I've found if you run ~30-35psi in the ET Streets they acted much better on the street.

If the ET Street DR's hook like promised, I'll probably try a set when they hit the street.

If you are looking for a full time setup. Look at going with a Nitto DR on the back.