Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Proper Koni SA Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Proper Koni SA Adjustment?

Here's the catch - the springs are not BMR or Strano - they are Vogtland springs. Right now the car hits a bump, bounces up and down, and feels like a nice solid hoopty instead of what the Koni's should feel like with nice bump absorbption. Is it possible they are just worn out? We have no idea what the Koni's are set to. Knowing the below spring rate info, what would your recommendations be for adjustment? The car is a daily driven 2000 Camaro SS with stock swaybars, SLP LCAs, Koni SA's, and Vogtland springs.

This is for a friends car, not mine. I do not have Vogtland springs on my car since I am not a huge fan of soft progressive springs.

Spring specs:
Front Spring Rate
336 lb./in. - 542 lb./in.
Front Working Rate
440 lb./in. - 542 lb./in.
Front Height Drop
1.2" or 30mm

Rear Spring Rate
77 lb./in - 228 lb./in.
Rear Working Rate
183 lb./in. - 228 lb./in.
Rear Drop
1.2" or 30mm

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-24-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try 5-6 sweeps from full soft up front, 1/4 to 1/2 from full soft in the rear.

If that doesn't work add +1 sweep up front, and +1/8 turn in the rear, repeat if necessary.

FYI, if at anytime the car starts to feel like it drops when going over dips in the road then subtract -1 sweep front, and/or -1/8 turn in the rear until the dropping sensation stops.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you back the front/rear shocks all the way back to full soft (they will get to a point where they won't go any lower) it's easy enough to start over and keep track of the adjustment if you don't know where they're at now.

Also, how many miles are on the shocks? Is your friend the original owner?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Proper adjustment is what results in the owner/driver being most happy... No matter where you set the shocks, they can't make the physical spring rate any softer, and that rear spring rate is pretty damned high (that's the single biggest reason why I don't use those springs). They didn't even double the front rate, which is the heavy end of the car--but they pretty much doubled the rear rate which is the light "pick-up truck" end of the car.

Try adjusting the shocks, if the adjusters work then there is little chance the shocks are busted, and even if there was one that'd be about it. Having no idea where they are currently set I can't even tell you which way to go. If the guy is a customer of mine, have him call me. Maybe he can get it dialed in where he'd like it better. Maybe it's a broken shock (least likely IMHO), or it could be he just doesn't like the spring rates--which was my issue with those.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So, my friend had just purchased the car from the original owner. The original owner put the Koni's on 5 years ago. Makes sense why it would feel like a mild hoopty. Hopefully the adjusters still work and have room for adjustment.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Try 5-6 sweeps from full soft up front, 1/4 to 1/2 from full soft in the rear.

If that doesn't work add +1 sweep up front, and +1/8 turn in the rear, repeat if necessary.

FYI, if at anytime the car starts to feel like it drops when going over dips in the road then subtract -1 sweep front, and/or -1/8 turn in the rear until the dropping sensation stops.
Thanks, I'll have to do that the next time we have a mod day.

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Also, how many miles are on the shocks?
Unknown miles on the Koni's, but the car is an '00 and has around 100k miles which seems low for an 11 year old car. It was a track/autox car and the Koni's were installed 5 years ago...

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Proper adjustment is what results in the owner/driver being most happy... No matter where you set the shocks, they can't make the physical spring rate any softer, and that rear spring rate is pretty damned high (that's the single biggest reason why I don't use those springs). They didn't even double the front rate, which is the heavy end of the car--but they pretty much doubled the rear rate which is the light "pick-up truck" end of the car.

Try adjusting the shocks, if the adjusters work then there is little chance the shocks are busted, and even if there was one that'd be about it. Having no idea where they are currently set I can't even tell you which way to go. If the guy is a customer of mine, have him call me. Maybe he can get it dialed in where he'd like it better. Maybe it's a broken shock (least likely IMHO), or it could be he just doesn't like the spring rates--which was my issue with those.
Thanks! He is the driver and he is happy with it since it is his first LS1 F-body, and it has a T56 (that he stalls all the time) and is his first F-body with halfway decent suspension mods, but I've been working with F-body suspension setups for longer than most others in my area, and they don't really know how a properly set up car is supposed to feel and ride like. RE: spring rates - makes sense, and yes, those rear rates are ridiculously high compared to most. Other than the hoopty feeling, it rides and handles decently (better than stock but far from superb - I believe it's on OEM toe-in alignment spec too). Not sure if the previous owner was a customer of yours, and I did mention that to my friend.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Proper Koni SA Adjustment?