Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Mods / Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Mods / Dual Exhaust

I am fairly new to the thread and I have searched to see if my question has been covered with no luck. So hopefully this isnt something that has been cevered.

I have a 1998 Camaro Z28 Convert. with 10,000 miles on it. The only Mod that has been done is a new lid. Other then that this thing is completely stock. Anyway, i am most likely going to be putting true dual exhaust on this car.

With said, What / If any suspension mods are a must, prior to the duals being installed. My worry is that if i have the duals installed, the exhaust might run in the way of say a panhard bar, or something to that effect. At this point i don't intend on lowering the car, however i will be buying a set of Koni shocks. If its lowered it would be the perch and hose mod. I don't want to lower it too much.

I dont intend on drag racing the car, at some point i would be happy around 400 hp. Want a fun summer cruiser that handles great.

Thanks in advance.

Derek
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe that you need a PHB relocation kit as far as suspension, and I hear it's normally a PITA having true duals and being lowered any because they will hit and rub on everything. Not my experience but I have seen multiple threads about this topic.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

If you're going to run dumped true duals then you don't have to worry about the phb. I would think about changing the torque arm because some aftermarket ones will actually give you more room for the exhaust.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Launching!

body mount tq arms won't allow true duals, except maybe the new kooks kit.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't get the deal with why some people must have true dual exhaust. Is it the sound you like? They seem to get in the way of lots of other modifications. Power wise, you can still make a lot of power using a lot of the catbacks with heads/cam setups.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to give http://stranoparts.com a call about your suspension questions first...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 02-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If true duals are your desire I would make sure to get all your suspension items first and then do the exhaust. We do offer a short arm cross member for our short arm torque arm however.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Its not that its a must. As a newbie, there is soo much information on this site on every topic, that you search and search and search, and end up at the same place as where you started.....confused. There is a lot of information you have to sift through. Call me traditional, I owned a 1980 malibu and my old man had a 67 mustang. Both were small block engines that my old man and i built when i was in high school, and post high school. Dual exhaust was ran on both of these cars, and i loved the sound.

Headers to a Y pipe/cat back is just new to me, and something i do not know a lot about. I should probably do more research on it, but again everyone has there opinion on it.

As for power, i agree with you, i am by no means wanting to put true duals on because of power. There are plenty of ways to make more power. Like i said before, probably because i like the sound and the familiarity of true duals. Do you have a Y pipe set up you would recommend to a newbie? I will be purchasing some Kooks Headers. I want something that is fairly quiet at idle, but when i get on it, i want people to know that its got something under the hood.

Anyway, thanks to all that posted.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

I run Kooks with a catted Ypipe. Originally I had a Corsa exhaust. I failed th 97 db limit at my local autocross, plus it just sounded like *** and was raspy. I moved to a Magnaflow which was a lot cheaper and I think it sounds a lot more crisp and is quiet at idle. Not as harsh when revving it up there, but still mean.

Maybe they do sound better with true dual exhaust. I've found that you just can't get that sound of an old school small/big block engine with an LS1.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ls1sounds.com

Check the site out and listen to sound clips....there's a lot of different setups on there so many you can find something you like. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the GMMG sound (that's why I ordered one!)
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just about the only way to get a dual exhaust out the back of a 3rd or 4th gen is with a PHR relocation kit. There is very little room between the PHR and the upper PHR support. We make a kit that lowers the PHR and allows both tubes to go over the axle on the passenger side. We worked directly with Kooks when they developed their True Dual Kit and I've seen a lot of customers design and build kits around our PHR relocation kit.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
http://www.ls1sounds.com

Check the site out and listen to sound clips....there's a lot of different setups on there so many you can find something you like. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the GMMG sound (that's why I ordered one!)
I remember checking that site out when I was looking around for exhausts. I didn't find it very accurate with my exhausts. There's so many different variables that come into play too. Not to mention different qualities in sound recordings.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I remember checking that site out when I was looking around for exhausts. I didn't find it very accurate with my exhausts. There's so many different variables that come into play too. Not to mention different qualities in sound recordings.
True, but it gives a pretty good idea of the type of sound. Obviously the best is hearing it in person....but that's not always an option.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

depends on who fabs up the true dual for you and if you run 2.25. 2.5 or 3 inch piping there are several members who ran true dual with out the phb relocation kit. its possible but its up to the person doing the work to fab it correctly. some go under the axle and some go over. check out this thread for pics and info https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pics-too.html

Last edited by 6spdchevy; 02-24-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

So are you going to do a Watts Link version as well?

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Just about the only way to get a dual exhaust out the back of a 3rd or 4th gen is with a PHR relocation kit. There is very little room between the PHR and the upper PHR support. We make a kit that lowers the PHR and allows both tubes to go over the axle on the passenger side. We worked directly with Kooks when they developed their True Dual Kit and I've seen a lot of customers design and build kits around our PHR relocation kit.

Quick Reply: Suspension Mods / Dual Exhaust