Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

questions on installing SFC's & LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions on installing SFC's & LCA's

Ive got UMI Subframe Connectors (3-point Bolt In) and Adjustable Lower Control Arms with Relocation Brackets. Some questions i got are,

- How long should the install take? And how difficult is this install?

- Is it better to use Ramps or Jackstands to load the suspension in the rear when it comes time to tighten down all the bolts? (was considering buying another set of ramps).

- Do the ramps have to be the same size/height or no, aslong as the suspensions loaded? I can borrow a friends ramps but his are a bit bigger then the ones i have. Reason for me considering getting another set of ramps.

- Do i need to take off the rear wheels for the LCA install?

I dont have the instructions with me right now that came with the parts, there at my parents house. I have an apartment and im about an hour away. Just thought i would ask some questions right now and be prepared for this install.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- How long should the install take? And how difficult is this install?
Depends...I'd budget 2 hours bare minimum, especially if you've never done anything like it before. It could take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours, especially with the subframe connectors. Back in the day when I did my SLP bolt-in subframe connectors, the holes didn't want to line up for ****, so I spent a lot of time with a grinder changing its mind. The LCAs shouldn't take long at all.

- Is it better to use Ramps or Jackstands to load the suspension in the rear when it comes time to tighten down all the bolts? (was considering buying another set of ramps).
I've used both, and it all depends on whether or not I want to leave the wheels on. Typically, I'll put the car on four ramps for final tightening. There's no reason to favor one method over the other...both will work just fine.

- Do the ramps have to be the same size/height or no, aslong as the suspensions loaded? I can borrow a friends ramps but his are a bit bigger then the ones i have. Reason for me considering getting another set of ramps.
I try to keep the car as level as possible - my ramps are all the same size, so it really isn't an issue for me. If you have the money, get the extra set, but if things are tight, don't worry about it.

- Do i need to take off the rear wheels for the LCA install?
You don't have to, but the rear nuts/bolts are easier to get to with them off. A good flex-head ratchet with either a pass-through or a deep well socket will make things much easier. I've done it both ways...with the proper tools, it can be done either way in the same amount of time.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the reply. I might have to work on saturday so ill be short on some time for that day. So its nice to know that it shouldnt take very long to do this.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

i can do SFCs in half a hr..........beer optional
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong but the suspension should be loaded for a SFC install shouldnt it?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
correct me if i'm wrong but the suspension should be loaded for a SFC install shouldnt it?
Correct, and it can be done a few different ways. A drive on lift, all four tires on ramps, or the fronts on ramps with jack stands under the rear end would all do that.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Quick question, which way does the adj. lower control arm go? Does the side you adj. go in the rear or in the front where you connect it with the subframe connectors?

Quick Reply: questions on installing SFC's & LCA's