Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack

I need to replace the steering rack on my 2k and was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with the rebuilt units. Should I pick one up from any store in particular?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by keving711556
I need to replace the steering rack on my 2k and was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with the rebuilt units. Should I pick one up from any store in particular?
I have installed rebuilds from just about all the big companies, and the most come backs I had were the units rebuilt by Fenco. A1 Cardone and Atsco were meh...so so.

Don't know who rebuilds ACDelco units, but I never had one come back. I would try and find a delco unit. If you can't find a delco google "rack doctor" he has great prices. Never used them, but the prices are great.

Edit: I should have said I don't know if delco racks are still true ACDelco remans or just Atsco etc.. in an ACDelco box. A lot has changed in the aftermarket parts biz since GM went bankrupt. But I would still go with one.

Last edited by Carter Hays; 02-07-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Is Delco still Delco?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI. I was quoted a remaned ac delco unit with core for $188 from a local dealer here in town. So I would check with a dealer first.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

i got a reman from advance auto and its off a tooth. So my car likes making right turns much more than left. I dont know how common this is though., and i dont know which brand.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by spy2520
i got a reman from advance auto and its off a tooth. So my car likes making right turns much more than left. I dont know how common this is though., and i dont know which brand.
You most likely have a Fenco rebuild.

Thank you for posting this. I delt with crap like that for years.

When you are trying to beat the book (flat rate) **** like this ain't gonna fly. All of them are probably Chinese garbage..

GM is/was bankrupt and we are stuck with it. I lost a good share of my 401k with these ********...sigh. There will be more Enrons' and GM's. Our problem is finding regular parts. The "racy" parts will live.

/Rant off............
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

no problems with my GM reman............

Quick Reply: Steering rack