Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

inputs/opinions needed on extreme front susp

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inputs/opinions needed on extreme front susp

hey all working on a 94 camaro roller, was a v6/5sp but thats all gone now and its empty in the bay. the goal is a good handling multipurpose car. will mainly be a streetdriven car (weekends) and some track time. will be going with a motorplate setup (undecided) and full tubular front susp (undecided also). the car will be recieving a 500+ci big block mated to a 6sp trans.. mainly looking for suggestions as to where to begin on the susp aspect, pros/cons, recomendations thats known to work in the "real" world not on "paper". i know id like all my susp componets to be adjustable. and just so everyone knows i havent purchased the 1st part for this car as i just scooped it up last week. it is in the stripping anything thats not needed and planning phase of things im a need to order and im in no rush to order at this current time. just gathering as much info i possibly can! i would greatly appreciate any and all knowledgable input and would like to keep it from becomming a "brand" vs "brand" bashing thread as when ive done searches it seems that most end up that way for some odd reason! just not much luck in searches on this. any other info thats needed just let me know and ill add as needed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...otorplate.html
my previous post in the sbc/bbc portion of the fourm
Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shovel
hey all working on a 94 camaro roller, was a v6/5sp but thats all gone now and its empty in the bay. the goal is a good handling multipurpose car. will mainly be a streetdriven car (weekends) and some track time. will be going with a motorplate setup (undecided) and full tubular front susp (undecided also). the car will be recieving a 500+ci big block mated to a 6sp trans.. mainly looking for suggestions as to where to begin on the susp aspect, pros/cons, recomendations thats known to work in the "real" world not on "paper". i know id like all my susp componets to be adjustable. and just so everyone knows i havent purchased the 1st part for this car as i just scooped it up last week. it is in the stripping anything thats not needed and planning phase of things im a need to order and im in no rush to order at this current time. just gathering as much info i possibly can! i would greatly appreciate any and all knowledgable input and would like to keep it from becomming a "brand" vs "brand" bashing thread as when ive done searches it seems that most end up that way for some odd reason! just not much luck in searches on this. any other info thats needed just let me know and ill add as needed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...otorplate.html
my previous post in the sbc/bbc portion of the fourm
How much does the bigblock + 6 speed weigh (assuming your not using a T56 right?)?
Thats going to be a big factor for springs rates.
And setting up a car for handling/ride quality will be basically opposite from setting up one to launch.
A set of good shocks ofcourse (not dragshocks like QA1, Afco, Strange etc. those will leave you with floaty/bouncy/jarring handling/ride quality) with probably some adjustable sleeves and custom springs (depending on the weight of the car). You get to pick your own height and rate for the springs then since this isn't exactly the typical Fbody build.
Matching swaybars (35/36mm front, 21/22mm rear [you can get an adjustable 22mm rear from stranoparts). Some sponsors sell 25mm + rear bars that are generally just too big for handling and cause the car to push into corners and oversteer out of them.
And don't forget brakes and tires.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for mentioning shocks/springs. i def overlooked that and to be honest unsure of what the bb will weigh in at. i have been looking into the fays link style setup for the rear as that is new to me after seeing the post in this section. i would like to find a good medium as this will be mainly a weekend car and driven on "curvy" roads. (not much of a autox) and maybe see the track a handfull of times a year. kinda confused as to who to call for a "set-up". theres two company sponsors on here that i like that ive checked out so far and thats mwc and sam strano. but feel mwc is drag oriented and sam is more autox oriented is that a wrong assumption considering i have never spoken to either of them? just looking for a point/push in the right direction. thanks for the input
Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shovel
thanks for mentioning shocks/springs. i def overlooked that and to be honest unsure of what the bb will weigh in at. i have been looking into the fays link style setup for the rear as that is new to me after seeing the post in this section. i would like to find a good medium as this will be mainly a weekend car and driven on "curvy" roads. (not much of a autox) and maybe see the track a handfull of times a year. kinda confused as to who to call for a "set-up". theres two company sponsors on here that i like that ive checked out so far and thats mwc and sam strano. but feel mwc is drag oriented and sam is more autox oriented is that a wrong assumption considering i have never spoken to either of them? just looking for a point/push in the right direction. thanks for the input
Get the weight of that engine/trans if you can so you have something to go off of. (or just get the weight of the car at each corner when its in the car)
You've got it pretty much right, but heres the thing, Sam not only does auto-x (and instructional driving, road courses etc) but he does street driving with his Camaro and has drag raced (this is not to say he competitively drag races). He sells numerous different kinds of things for our cars (even if they are not listed on his site) where as many other companies usually just sell drag parts, and will tell you that you will be "ok" with them even though they've never seen/competed in a handling course (and if they would they would quickly realize that dragparts are less than "ok" in these situations).
Im not just talking about loosing some time, or some grip, but rather the balance of the car (the way it behaves in the corners), and the stability. - This is why you want a handling shock and not a drag shock.
And keep in mind that a car setup for handling can be a decent drag car(easy to throw on slicks and remove the front swaybar for the track), while a car setup for drag will be a terrible handling car (drag shocks, oversized rear bar and bind-happy suspension are not a good handling formula).