Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best drag shocks for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow best drag shocks for the buck?

i have some serious wheel hop issues, i got a set of cheap kys that are getting **** canned, bmr adj torque arm, stock rear springs and a 9'' rear, iam lookin to hit 10's with this set up, forged 347, h/c/i tick performance level 3 t56, so whats the best bang for the buck shocks and springs drag bags ect..., i got every dollor into this car and my pockets are getting kinda light, let me kno what you guys sugest, thanks matt
Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youre looking to get into the 10s with the monte carlo and a 347? What all is done to the motor and are you spraying? if so how much? dont mean to hijack the thread, but wow. besides that i would like to see what everyone says about this one as well..
Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28hustle
youre looking to get into the 10s with the monte carlo and a 347? What all is done to the motor and are you spraying? if so how much? dont mean to hijack the thread, but wow. besides that i would like to see what everyone says about this one as well..
nah man the monte is sold lol, i have a 98 t/a, iam jus lookin to see whats the best shock and springs for the buck, like qa1's or strange single or double adjustable or 12ways
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Best bang for the buck? Hands down comp 3-ways for $40/shock.

Nothing else comes close in the price vs performance of those things.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Launching!

anyone else use the comp 3 ways? hows the weight transfer? my problem is i got bad wheel hop with my cheap kyb's
Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Default is this a front shok

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Best bang for the buck? Hands down comp 3-ways for $40/shock.

Nothing else comes close in the price vs performance of those things.
part # please
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lacajun
part # please
x2 to this
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ag-shocks.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/Competition+En.../2700/10002/-1

Go bust some ***!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by monte383sbc
anyone else use the comp 3 ways? hows the weight transfer? my problem is i got bad wheel hop with my cheap kyb's
Had the same problem with a 3rd gen LT1/spray car i fixed up the suspension for last year. Changing to a comp 3 way and a drag bar made it a whole nother animal.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Summit Racing three way adjustable drag shock here. They're generic version of the comp shocks. Great shock.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

What front strut did you go with?

And what springs ??
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
What front strut did you go with?

And what springs ??
I have HAL QA1 12way singles up front with 275 lb springs.

On the 3rd gen, we only removed the front sway bar.

As it was 60' excellent, we didnt see the need to upgrade the front shocks/springs. They are no where near as critical in a mild build as a nice rear drag bar. The drag bar will ensure you are 100% utilizing all the tire you have back there. Without it, you are flopping all your weight bias over that passenger side tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y8ESjDwiOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Tiu...eature=related

That is a Vert LT1 with a hotcam and 150 shot on a T56. 1.44 60'
Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i have some serious wheel hop issues, i got a set of cheap kys that are getting **** canned, bmr adj torque arm, stock rear springs and a 9'' rear, iam lookin to hit 10's with this set up, forged 347, h/c/i tick performance level 3 t56, so whats the best bang for the buck shocks and springs drag bags ect..., i got every dollor into this car and my pockets are getting kinda light, let me kno what you guys sugest, thanks matt
Leave the front shocks/springs alone for now and just remove the front sway bar if you haven't already. Put a set of the Comp 3 ways on the back (or Strange single adjustables if you can afford it) and a set of tubular control arms (didn't see them mentioned) if you don't already have them. I wouldn't even bother with springs for a 10 second car, we have guys running 7's with OE rear springs. Control arms and shocks should eliminate your wheel hop, if not you may have to correct your anti-squat with a set of weld-in control arm relocation brackets.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Leave the front shocks/springs alone for now and just remove the front sway bar if you haven't already. Put a set of the Comp 3 ways on the back (or Strange single adjustables if you can afford it) and a set of tubular control arms (didn't see them mentioned) if you don't already have them. I wouldn't even bother with springs for a 10 second car, we have guys running 7's with OE rear springs. Control arms and shocks should eliminate your wheel hop, if not you may have to correct your anti-squat with a set of weld-in control arm relocation brackets.

Agreed on most all the above! As usual, cost is always the driving factor. LOL, I'm still sporting a stock Kmember/A-Arms on my ride (waiting for some love from BMR....cough cough...haha).

FWIW, the drag bar on the back of that vert is a BMR Drag bar. Talk about "turning on the light switch" on that car with just a set of Comp 3ways and the drag bar
Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy the parts that my work, then may not, and then you've spent good money for nothing.

We have a proven working combination for your car and will not sell you parts just to make a buck and not get you down the track any quicker.

We have had very good luck with the Strange externally adjustable shocks and offer the others as well to suit your needs with your budget.

Feel free to give us a call of email if you want to do it right and not spend money twice.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
I want to get this right for my set up...So you would go with the rear shocks comp 3 ways and a drag bar with stock springs for now"if budget couldn't allow for different springs" I still have a stock Tq arm..

As for everything else I have. I'm only missing TQ Arm and Drag bar.

So shocks are a most for now. But as for Drag bar or Tq Arm which one would you do right now?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get good control arms top and bottoms for the rear.get a moog book and find some stiffer springs and cut them to correct height .you want the lower control arm to be about level.also use a sway bar on the rear also ,it acts like a torsion bar slowing down twist.try -4* pinion angle .consider a air bag for the right side.you want you left rear shock to resist going up and the rt rear stiff compressing .
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the help guys and i hope this thread helped some others as well, looks like iam goin with comp 3 ways or if i can find sum a good price on a pair of strange shocks, thanks again
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I want to get this right for my set up...So you would go with the rear shocks comp 3 ways and a drag bar with stock springs for now"if budget couldn't allow for different springs" I still have a stock Tq arm..

So shocks are a most for now. But as for Drag bar or Tq Arm which one would you do right now?
As long as you had the other supporting mods, you definitely could use the Comp 3-way adjustable shock, rear anti-roll bar, and stock springs with good success. Both the torque arm and rear drag bar are important pieces to getting the car down the track, but if I had to do one or the other first I would do the torque arm especially at the power level in your signature. What kind of times are you currently running at the track?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
9 Second Club

Gotta have a TA....I prefer a Long TA over a short one until you really get up there in the power level and suspension is fully ironed out.

Originally Posted by garygnu
get good control arms top and bottoms for the rear.get a moog book and find some stiffer springs and cut them to correct height .you want the lower control arm to be about level.also use a sway bar on the rear also ,it acts like a torsion bar slowing down twist.try -4* pinion angle .consider a air bag for the right side.you want you left rear shock to resist going up and the rt rear stiff compressing .
WTF are you talking about?

Way too much negative pinion angle recommended(I've never seen anything more than -4 do any good), especially with a good Drag bar and TA, never do you want your LCA's "level" and there there are only "lower control arms". No "upper arms" unless you are talking about front a-arms? WTF would you cut your springs?! And why would you want a air bag if you have a good drag bar?!

thanks for all the help guys and i hope this thread helped some others as well, looks like iam goin with comp 3 ways or if i can find sum a good price on a pair of strange shocks, thanks again
agree with that.

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
As long as you had the other supporting mods, you definitely could use the Comp 3-way adjustable shock, rear anti-roll bar, and stock springs with good success. Both the torque arm and rear drag bar are important pieces to getting the car down the track, but if I had to do one or the other first I would do the torque arm especially at the power level in your signature. What kind of times are you currently running at the track?

Agreed, really need a TA, as you are ultimately "flexing" the stock TA once you get the car hooking. Get an adjustable one that doesnt mount to the trans. Long or short is personal prefrence.

Quick Reply: best drag shocks for the buck?