Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs: roll rear fender lip??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good point, I would rather not have to buy new tires. That would make me a little upset.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on 295 wide 18's and when installing my Strano springs and Koni's I had the rear springs out with the car on jack stands. I raised the rear until it was against the bump stops and I had good clearance between the tires and fender lip. I still rolled my fenders because I like to drive like you, fast around those country winding roads. I didn't want to take a chance of a tire getting cut while pulling some corner G's and having one blow. With the rolled fenders there is plenty of clearance.

Advice when rolling, use a head gun often keeping the paint soft. Helps to do it when the air temps are higher as well, I did mine when it was 90 degrees outside. I went with a final angle of about 45 degrees. When rolling start around 10-15 degrees and work the fender lip until its fully rolled at that angle. Bump the angle up another 10-15 degrees again and do this over and over until you get the final angle you want. If you shoot straight for the final angle when starting you can wrinkle you fender due to the all the pressure.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks 97, this is exaclty what Im looking for, advice from people being there, and I appreciate the tip to do it slowly and in increments. Question: did you have to cut relief cuts into the lip so that you could roll the top and not the sides?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't do any cutting. Just take your time and you can make the top area were the lip is rolled transition into the sides smoothly.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97pontta
I didn't do any cutting. Just take your time and you can make the top area were the lip is rolled transition into the sides smoothly.
Perfect. Many thanks!

Quick Reply: Strano springs: roll rear fender lip??