Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

About to flush/bleed and re master .. This sound right??...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default About to flush/bleed and re master .. This sound right??...

Just wanted to ask if this sounded right.

I'm going to :

Remove old master, install new master full of fresh fluid.

Start from the rear pass and vacc pump bleeder till I see fresh fluid while topping up master.

Repeat for rear l then front r and then front l.

What does bench bleeding involve? How would I go about cycling my abs? Read that I could raise the rear go over 5mph and let it cycle?

Input is appreciated.. Off to grab a coffee and get started
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youve got the right idea. bench bleeding is when you stick it in a vice and manually bleed the master on the bench. thereby minimizing air pockets coming from the master. ive accomplished this with a long large tip phillips screwdriver to pump the piston and an assistant cracking the bleeder. make sure you can use those palstic pipe caps to block the brake line holes so it doesnt **** out. starting from the farthest bleeder from the master and work your way to the closest. RR, LR, RF, LF. good luck!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have a vice at my new place and nor do I have plugs for the line ends. I was thinking to just fill it and install it since I'm flushing all the fluid out anyways from the whole system
Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

you can bleed the master on the car......just make sure its air free before you hook up the lines
Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Well I ended up blaeeding till fluid was clear from each wheel. Stuff was seriously black. Off to drive it... Hopefully I have brakes or I won't make it back to respond lol...

Here's the black stuff..
Old 03-05-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick but relevant hijack.. If bleeding brakes on a 97 s10 with drums do I need to bleed drums also?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

I would imagine so because you're still using hydraulic pressure to force the shoes against the drum.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

@ baalic YES...theres a bleeder on the back side of the drums above the axle tubes that likes to break if its rusty...be ready to disassemble your rear brakes to replace a master cylinder. @ nastyc4 and howd the bleeding turnout? got brakes?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

I do indeed !!! WOW my brakes are line new woooooohoooooo!!!!!

I pulled out nearly 2l of fluid to make sure I pulled out all the old stuff and to try and get all the air out from the master and at least so far it seemed to have worked. Last night it's dropped like 3 inches of snow from the time I started to when I finished so it made it easy to get the abs to go nuts although I'm not sure it helped much.

My pedal is really firm and doesn't drop to the floor anymore. I'm not sure if it was the old fluid which was def contaminated (master cap boot was swollen beyond fit) or the master but replacing both seems to have worked wonders so far.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

IF the old fluid which was contaminated (master cap boot was swollen beyond fit)
why was fluid contaminated ? I do not think it would be contaminated only because of age, if it was contaminated to the point master cap boot was swollen beyond fit I would think all the wheel cyl would be contaminated also
just my .02' Johnny
Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

I think you are right. That is why I chose to replace the master and all the fluid in the whole system. I could have flushed the fluid only but I figured the master probably has rubber seals that got contaminated as well so I should replace that too.

I believe the previous owner put wrong fluid in the original master. Ca was a California car and when I was driving it home over the border i stopped to check the fluids and surprisingly the brake master boot was so swollen i had to fold it under the cap to get it back on.

Quick Reply: About to flush/bleed and re master .. This sound right??...