Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rotors, now I need help with pads..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New rotors, now I need help with pads..

I bought new rotors from onlinerotors.com about 3 years ago. Just now getting around to installing them..

The rotors are drilled and slotted. Thats pretty much all I know about them since its been so long. I went to autozone today and bought there best available pads, the Duramax gold Cmax. They are ceramic pads. My main concern with this car isn't stopping on a dime. I want something that is low on dust, and is going to not hurt my rotors in a short amount of time. Did I make a mistake or will these be fine??

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I bought new rotors from onlinerotors.com about 3 years ago. Just now getting around to installing them..

The rotors are drilled and slotted. Thats pretty much all I know about them since its been so long. I went to autozone today and bought there best available pads, the Duramax gold Cmax. They are ceramic pads. My main concern with this car isn't stopping on a dime. I want something that is low on dust, and is going to not hurt my rotors in a short amount of time. Did I make a mistake or will these be fine??

Thanks,
Ryan
I've heard some complaints about ceramic pads' stopping power. There's going to be a trade-off between stopping power and dust. Cross-drilled and slotted rotors won't help your stopping power either. Quality blank rotors will give you the best performance.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skorpion317
I've heard some complaints about ceramic pads' stopping power. There's going to be a trade-off between stopping power and dust. Cross-drilled and slotted rotors won't help your stopping power either. Quality blank rotors will give you the best performance.
I'm not really concerned with exteme stopping power. Of course, I don't want to go cheap on brakes, but my main concern is more along the lines of these pads not affecting the rotors. Paid almost 300 for them and I just don't want them scuffed all to hell after 500 miles. The car is just a wild street build that MAY see the strip once a year. So, will these pads be ok for the rotors??
Old 03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. Less aggressive pads won't chew up rotors as much. Stock replacement pads should be just fine.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, pretty much what your saying is to take these back and get the original Duramax pads I guess??

Quick Reply: New rotors, now I need help with pads..