Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My front shock/spring install - corrosion issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My front shock/spring install - corrosion issues

Well I did the rear springs and shocks with an adjustable panhard bar and didn't have any major issues.

Today I started dis-assembly on the front struts and springs and was horrified by the corrosion I found. First I managed to break the passenger side swaybar end link as it sheared while I was trying to get the nut off. Massive amounts of WD-40 had no effect on preventing it from shearing (using hand tools none-the-less):

So I'm thinking no big deal, new end-links won't kill me. Moving along I let everything soak in WD-40 for quite a bit of time before trying to remove anything. The spring and strut assembly came out fine, then much to my horror I saw this:

There is literally nothing left of the top of the strut shaft and you can't even tell there is a nut but what's left of the nut is still holding the strut mount to the strut somehow.

So at this point I'm weighing my options. I can only assume the driver's side will be just as bad but I will dis-assemble it tomorrow to see where I stand.

It looks like I'm gonna have to buy new strut mounts (~$150) and insulators (~$20), as well as swaybar end-links (~$25). Wondering if anyone has advice on where to get these the cheapest, etc. The strut mount from the passenger side looks so rusted that I don't think I'd want to use it even IF I could get it separated from the strut (which I'm sure would require a torch to cut it off.

Just wanted to share my frustration with everyone else who has fought this battle, thanks for the support.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Welcome to the club. A few years ago, when I replaced the shocks, I cut the nut off with an angle grinder, or a dremel, with a cut off wheel. The mounts are fine, don't waste your money buying new ones. In fact, new ones may come with their own set of issues unless you get them right from GM.

You'll find a number of people who have run in to the same issue.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

yup. same thing happend to me as well i was like wtf i just bought some used stock shocks from craigslist for $50 and used those strut mounts and nuts
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's good to know I'm not alone, didn't know this happened so often lol
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

and that is why mine will be poweder coated when I do mine LOL
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
and that is why mine will be poweder coated when I do mine LOL
Powder coating the mount won't help. Sure it'll keep the rust off the mount, but that's not the problem. What you need is a shock with a stainless steel shaft, and a set of stainless steel nuts on it.

Short of that, you can try covering the nut and exposed shaft in grease, but it will be tough to keep the grease in place. Maybe find a boot that you can fill with grease to cover the shaft, and nuts.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, and I thought MINE was bad on the RS! Par for the course. I ended up taking a mini-sledge to the shaft top after it was soaked in PB Blast for days and eventually snapped the shaft and was able to get it off the mount.

Be sure to use anti-seaze on the new shock threads! May want to use marine grease to cover it all once you get it all snugged-up to help prevent future corrosion.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i filled the whole cavity in the strut mount with marine grease........maybe that will help with all that dammmm rust.........and it seems the pass side gets the worst of it
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Yah just cut the shock, and then hammer out the shaft out of the mount, or you may have to drill it out, good luck, I went through that and it wasted tons of my time.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was bad but not that bad, and the driver side had no rust at all.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Little update, got the driver's side apart today. Broke the swaybar end link just like the other side and have similar issues with the nut on top of the strut.

Driver's side:

Quick Reply: My front shock/spring install - corrosion issues