Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Blank rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
As far as evidence to support my claims check out this paper - http://papers.sae.org/2006-01-0691
This paper is basically very good. Too bad they didn't go further in a couple of directions as they were just getting into where the drilled rotors were coming into their own. If I ever can find the time, I'd like to develop a further expansion on that topic and present it to SAE. I just want to be sure I'm not attached to an OE when it is published, as I would rather have it appear as independent as possible.

Anything Carroll Smith or Mac Tilton have written about brakes should be required reading for anyone who wants to discover truth on the topic. I had the pleasure of being taught by these two giants at the start of my career in this field and have benefited tremendously as a result. Sadly, Carroll has been gone for a few years, but Mac is still around, stirring the pot every now and then!

Chris
Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_B
Anything Carroll Smith or Mac Tilton have written about brakes should be required reading for anyone who wants to discover truth on the topic.

Chris
I'll second that
Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which is why I posted that Stoptech link because the article was written by Carroll Smith.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And there you have it folks.....to me it all looks reasonable.
Thanks to Chris and Brakesmotivational for the info.
A thread to learn from. Contrary to what we often see sometimes around here.

Blanks are great but there is something to be said about bite, heat dissipitation, and pad surface refreshing when it comes to cross drilled....and slotting serves its purpose as well.

I like the cross drilling attributes. Not so much the slots. Altho J hooks sound good....but likely too hard on the pads.
I'll keep these things in mind.....my front blanks are factory resurfaced and wont be on for too long.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
^ mitch races in cmc2 and uses OE sized blanks IIRC - I don't want to get labeled captain cross-drilled I just don't like seeing misinformation about them parroted. I'm a strong advocate of quality blanks on track cars.
Thanks ... I appreciate that.

The point that keeps getting glossed over is the reason why exotic brakes don't have any "real world" benefit on a street driven car.

If you are driving your car to the point of over-heating and trashing brake parts on the street, then you are an idiot.

There is a time and place for it and it isn't on the street.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Thanks ... I appreciate that.

The point that keeps getting glossed over is the reason why exotic brakes don't have any "real world" benefit on a street driven car.

If you are driving your car to the point of over-heating and trashing brake parts on the street, then you are an idiot.

I will second that.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mitchntx

I agree with this sentiment, for sure. However, there are situations that demand more from brakes. One example: I grew up driving in the mountains around Lake Tahoe. Some of those roads are murder on brakes. Both of my 2nd Gen. Camaros (especially my built Z28) had serious issues with brake fade if even having the slightest bit of fun, although I never had those problems in the valleys. I wish I had better options back then.

Even today, I occasionally see Suburbans hauling trailers coming down the mountain from Big Bear with the brakes nearly on fire. They get to the bottom and creep through the red light at 1mph with both feet planted on the brake pedal as they can't stop. Electric trailer brakes don't work at low speeds. Yes, driving style has a lot to do with it, but sometimes people also need better parts to choose from.

We must remember that OE engineers are limited by very strict budgets, so they are not free to specify whatever they want on production vehicles. They choose the best they can, given the constraints -- and then the cost-down engineers start hacking that back after a year or two of production. I don't see a single car on the current market (under US$80k) with really good brakes. They may be adequate for many, but serious improvements can definitely be made in this category, especially if planning to take part in a few track day events every year.

Chris
Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with you that there are some situations where better than stock brake components are ideal on the street, but not in an F-body...

IMO, a stock LS1 F-body has sufficient brakes for just about any kind of situation you may run into on the street. If you REQUIRE better components on the street because you are outdriving the stock brakes, then I agree with Mitch.. You are an idiot.

The flipside of that coin is that I don't blame anyone for wanting the best stopping components on their car, even if it only sees the street.. There is a lot to be desired over the stock stuff, and stopping shorter is always better than stopping longer..
Old 04-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Well folks.. wow.. I didn't think this thread would come to this, I just wanted a couple blank rotor suggestions, but thanks to all for your input. There is lots of good info here.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics say it all.. 13" C5 drilled brembos.. this was after bedding them in and a couple hard freeway stops at 130+.. in my '67 Camaro.. 3100# I'll just say i'm going to stick to blanks.. Theres no difference in stopping power anyways.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Pics say it all.. 13" C5 drilled brembos.. this was after bedding them in and a couple hard freeway stops at 130+.. in my '67 Camaro.. 3100# I'll just say i'm going to stick to blanks.. Theres no difference in stopping power anyways.
All those pics are confirming is to not use poor quality blanks and then machine them improperly. That pattern design is doomed to failure just by looking at it. It would also have prematurely grooved both the pad and rotor, if it had lived long enough. And both the slots and the holes are finished improperly. It's a rather sophomoric attempt at best. It looks like one of those eBay specials, right?

The difference in initial bite is well quantified, but some drivers just don't feel it. But that doesn't mean it is not there -- it just means that some drivers are more sensitive to braking g-forces than others. I've worked with all types of professional drivers from rally to circle track to Indycar and NASCAR. A few of them could not feel the difference, but most of them easily could.

Chris
Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

He does say "drilled brembos"....so probably not ebay specials.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
He does say "drilled brembos"....so probably not ebay specials.
Those may (or may not) be Brembo blanks, but they certainly are not finished Brembo Sport Rotors. Keep in mind Brembo outsources about 25% of their OE replacement rotor business, so outside factories are doing that work. More and more of the rest are being done by Brembo in low-cost labor countries. Many part numbers are still good quality, but many others are just not the same as they used to be. It's not easy to fool someone who has bought many tens of thousands of rotors from Brembo over the years.

Regardless, that machining done on those blanks clearly ranks that "manufacturer" in the amateur category. You just cannot use any results from those pieces and extrapolate them out to somehow also include quality drilled rotors. Apples and oranges.

Chris
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those may (or may not) be Brembo blanks, but they certainly are not finished Brembo Sport Rotors. Keep in mind Brembo outsources about 25% of their OE replacement rotor business, so outside factories are doing that work. More and more of the rest are being done by Brembo in low-cost labor countries. Many part numbers are still good quality, but many others are just not the same as they used to be. It's not easy to fool someone who has bought many tens of thousands of rotors from Brembo over the years.

Regardless, that machining done on those blanks clearly ranks that "manufacturer" in the amateur category. You just cannot use any results from those pieces and extrapolate them out to somehow also include quality drilled rotors. Apples and oranges.

Chris
I know what you're saying. I purchased a set of 4 Brembo blanks last year, 3 of them were defective when I got them (made in Brazil). Ended up getting a refund from WS6store, but I also heard I wasn't alone in the issue. Lower cost Brembo's just aren't what they used to be.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris
they were brembo rotors, but I believe the chamfers werent up to par. Still, they cracked in areas that werent the chamfer, as well. I bedded them in properly, drove around about 20 miles, and then did some 30-160 freeway runs, getting on the brakes at 130mph.. they were done within 100 miles total. Pretty scary.. If they had come apart and taken out my aluminum wheels, i'd be screwed. The brembo blanks I replaced them with are awesome.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

they were brembo rotors, but I believe the chamfers werent up to par. Still, they cracked in areas that werent the chamfer, as well. I bedded them in properly, drove around about 20 miles, and then did some 30-160 freeway runs, getting on the brakes at 130mph.. they were done within 100 miles total. Pretty scary.. If they had come apart and taken out my aluminum wheels, i'd be screwed. The brembo blanks I replaced them with are awesome.
Glad to hear you've got it sorted out. Braking hard from 130mph is some serious business, far beyond what OE rotors are sized for! They can be made to work (marginally), but you will need some additional thermal capacity (larger and thicker rotors with a curved vane core) if that is how you are normally going to use them.

Chris
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Glad to hear you've got it sorted out. Braking hard from 130mph is some serious business, far beyond what OE rotors are sized for! They can be made to work (marginally), but you will need some additional thermal capacity (larger and thicker rotors with a curved vane core) if that is how you are normally going to use them.

Chris
Exactly what I was thinking - repeated 160mph runs are no joke. It should also be noted that you're using brakes which have been adapted to a vehicle for which they weren't originally designed. The above is a result of thermal shock which would have cracked a blank rotor just the same.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Chris
Are you both stating that Z28's come from the factory ill prepared to handle or brake from 130 mph?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Are you both stating that Z28's come from the factory ill prepared to handle or brake from 130 mph?
That would be a misstatement. Brake system components have a certain thermal capacity. Engineers will specify what is needed for a vehicle to handle the capacity they determine is necessary, while also staying within a strict budget. I'm not aware of any car currently on the market under $60k that has a brake system sized to handle repeated hard braking from 130mph. Even if it did, it certainly won't have the pads to handle that. So, they will ALL fade and many will start cracking rotors. Gimme about 20 minutes in just about any brand new car in that price range and I'll have the brakes completely done -- if I was so inclined.

The Z-28 is no exception. Will it brake from 130? Of course! Will it handle repeated hard braking events from that speed with very little time for cooling in between? Hell no! But neither would any other car in its price range (or a bit higher) either.

Chris
Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Z-28 is no exception. Will it brake from 130? Of course! Will it handle repeated hard braking events from that speed with very little time for cooling in between? Hell no! But neither would any other car in its price range (or a bit higher) either.

Chris
Chris I don't think CamaroVette was talking about Nascar'ing the car like u describe.....maybe he can chime in and clarify.
But this is all starting to get really subjective upon subjective.

Quick Reply: Blank rotors