TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front view:

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Front view:

Now put another red bar across both tops against the firewall before doing so weld a backing plate to it.....then rivet all the way across.

You'll get more strenght from the double x's i mentioned before tho...i would think you'd want some overkill. I think the double x's would help take some of the weight off the firewall which you are also technically not truly welding up to. so its just an attempt to balance the stress points and distribute.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could doubleX into an enclosed rectangle and the rear of those rectangle go flush against the firewall as well with backing plates+riveted....and call it a day. That would be the most strength....and skip the top bar...altho that would help keep center.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think by the time you welded in all the reinforcement plates to mount the tubes and the brace tubing you would end up being at the same weight if not more

You will also eat up room in there with all the extra tubing running all over the place
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
If I take into consideration my upper shock mount and the air bag diameter as well as riveting the upper load plates to the firewall, I might could do this:

That looks good! Keep in mind, the only thing you want to flex is the shocks and springs, not the frame. Unless the frame is completely rigid, you'll be chasing your tail, trying to find the "handling issue"....
Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69TA
i think by the time you welded in all the reinforcement plates to mount the tubes and the brace tubing you would end up being at the same weight if not more

You will also eat up room in there with all the extra tubing running all over the place
Weight is not an issue at all and it's not gonna eat up room. Think of all the room you gain by having no shock towers. It's a great trade off in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah nothing personal but you are like building a semi tube chassis car and cutting out the unibody frame
here and there so it's not really solid nor light

the right thing to do would be to skin the car's body and build her from the ground up like a Nascar.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I not too concerned about weight. This isn't a race car, it's just a cruiser. I might take it out to the local car cruise Sat night.

The thing is I'm just a shadetree mechanic. I don't have a shop or even a garage. I'm doing all the work in my front yard, so a full tube frame just isn't possible.

Getting back to beefing up the frame rails, I do have that stripped out white donor car. I could probably rig up a way to flex the rails and see how strong they are. Then add bracing to see how effective it is at reducing that flex.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-31-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: On the Road to Removing the Shock Towers