Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best street/strip spring/shock setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I get that I need to make my mind up. I wouldn't expect the afco's to keep up with the koni's on the twisty's but do you think they would be better than the stock shocks or worse? I'd almost be willing to try koni front and afco rears
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Yeah, I get that I need to make my mind up. I wouldn't expect the afco's to keep up with the koni's on the twisty's but do you think they would be better than the stock shocks or worse?
Eh, thats questionable. Some say they are, but its finny though that so many describe their worn out stock shocks acting just like their expensive drag shocks. Just because they can be made to feel "stiff" doesn't mean they will have the car feeling stable and planted - which IMO is way more important than giving outright grip.
I'd almost be willing to try koni front and afco rears
I don't see the point of that, Id imagine that would be pretty strange feeling too.
Regularizes of what you go with you always have the option of taking them off and selling them if they aren't what you want.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input. I definitely want to get this decision right this time. Cause I already spent the money on the qa1's and although I used them for years, they definitely weren't the right shock for me. Probably leaning towards the koni's now.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are the Strange direct bolt in's for street and country/mountain roads? limited strip?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info here. Now I am looking at the konis again lol.

Havent had my car to the track yet, waiting to get it back from the shop. It should cut bottom 1.50 60' times. At least a couple cars around here identical to mine, except mine is lighter. Is cutting 1.50 flat.

So konis should be fine for me. One guys car looks awesome and he has stock springs with one coil cut off front, and isolator removed from rear. Not too big on that idea personally tho.

now back to me needing different rear shocks due to my 12 bolt. So you are saying I either need double adjustables for my car, or get single adjustables for an 82-92 camaro? (they still bolt in the same?)
Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver50
good info here. Now I am looking at the konis again lol.

Havent had my car to the track yet, waiting to get it back from the shop. It should cut bottom 1.50 60' times. At least a couple cars around here identical to mine, except mine is lighter. Is cutting 1.50 flat.

So konis should be fine for me. One guys car looks awesome and he has stock springs with one coil cut off front, and isolator removed from rear. Not too big on that idea personally tho.

Front Koni SA's don't require you to cut the spring for a slight drop, you can use the lower perch that's built into the shock to drop your height without changing your spring at all. Heater hose in the rear and you're good for a .75"/.5" drop without cutting anything.

now back to me needing different rear shocks due to my 12 bolt. So you are saying I either need double adjustables for my car, or get single adjustables for an 82-92 camaro? (they still bolt in the same?)

You could do either. The 3rd gen rears seem to be dampened better for aftermarket rears (more weight), and DA's allow you to dial in your custom compression dampening if you so choose. Maybe someone on here can chime in with their experiences with a heavy rear + 3rd gen rears, but I haven't heard anything bad on that....quite a bit cheaper too!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Drag race=afco/strange. handling=konis. Just that easy. You would just have to choose what you want more.
Good to see at least one person consistently posting accurate information about the title of this thread. Well said again Mr. Zmg!

Carl

Quick Reply: Best street/strip spring/shock setup?