Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides

--

--

Print Wikipost

CTS-V Calipers and 2010 Camaro SS Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
ACDelco right 172-2288

ACDelco left 172-2289

$228.00 shipped @ Amazon

Are these still Brembo ?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiebutter
Are these still Brembo ?
yup, since they are OEM for the CTS-V AC-Delco rebrands them. They will still have the Brembo casting on the back of the caliper.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Has anyone used the centric blank rotors (5th gen Camaro SS) from tirerack with the 6 piston cts-v?

I tried to put these on yesterday and the center hat is spaced about 4mm deeper than the rotors I took off (which look like the cheap ebay ones). This means that the rotor ends up too far inboard toward the mounting holes for the caliper to fit when its fully seated on the hub. It kind of looks like I may need a spacer between the rotor and the hub.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Has anyone used the centric blank rotors (5th gen Camaro SS) from tirerack with the 6 piston cts-v?

I tried to put these on yesterday and the center hat is spaced about 4mm deeper than the rotors I took off (which look like the cheap ebay ones). This means that the rotor ends up too far inboard toward the mounting holes for the caliper to fit when its fully seated on the hub. It kind of looks like I may need a spacer between the rotor and the hub.
Or you need washers between the caliper and spindle
Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dojob
Or you need washers between the caliper and spindle
No, that's what you need when the rotor/caliper is too far outboard from the mounting holes. I am facing the opposite situation, it is too far in. Basically, when I put the caliper on with the rotor fully seated flush against the hub, it hits the mounting holes on the side rather than slides in front of them. The rotor has to come off of the hub slightly for their to be enough room to slide the caliper mounting holes in front of the spindle holes.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
No, that's what you need when the rotor/caliper is too far outboard from the mounting holes. I am facing the opposite situation, it is too far in. Basically, when I put the caliper on with the rotor fully seated flush against the hub, it hits the mounting holes on the side rather than slides in front of them. The rotor has to come off of the hub slightly for their to be enough room to slide the caliper mounting holes in front of the spindle holes.
Regardless... the 6 piston caliper doesn't seem to like fbody master cylinders... doesn't perform well. More of a show piece. So before getting too involved or buying a rotor that is proven to work the 6 piston caliper without spacers... confirm if it will fit your needs.

5thgen rotor will work perfect with 4 piston ctsv caliper and performs great
Old 11-20-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I've already had these brakes on the car for a while, they seem to work fine, just changing the rotors/pads since they were worn. I ordered a good spacer on ebay, gonna try that first.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the spacers didn't work so it looks like I need to get different rotors.

Should I get the CTS-V rotors? Everyone on here said the Camaro SS rotors were the right ones to get with this mod, but I guess not.

I do notice now that the CTS-V and Camaro rotors have different part numbers on Tirerack's website.

Which Camaro rotors have people ordered on here that have worked? Just kinda confused now.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

FWIW, I'm not TireRack but I am contributing sponsor around here. And I have rotors. Once you decide what you are after, let's see if I can help you.

I can't recommend what you need to use for the parts you have put together, that's the trouble with these pieced together fitments, and why I do something different. But if you know what parts you need, I have them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-25-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

5th gen SS rotors work fine.. just have to have them milled out a tad to fit onto the 4th gen hub
Old 11-25-2016, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
5th gen SS rotors work fine.. just have to have them milled out a tad to fit onto the 4th gen hub
Again, that is not my issue. I did that. I ordered the 5th Gen SS rotors from tirerack. It appears they do not work with the CTS-V 6 piston calipers on my car. The center hat is too deep and there is not enough space to fit the caliper on with the rotor fully mounted. The rotors I took off do work, so I'm just trying to figure out what kind they were or if there is some different to the Camaro rotors I ordered from Tirerack. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok, I think my issue was just that I expected it to fit better than it does. The pad doesn't make complete contact with the rotor and is shifted outward some once the caliper is bolted up but maybe this is the best I can do. I mean there is still more pad contact than with the 4 piston calipers. If anyone has done better with the 6 pistons then maybe I still have something wrong here.

This is what it looks like with the caliper mounted and no spacer (also no washers between the caliper and spindle).

This is what it looks like with a 5mm spacer between the hub and the rotor and 1 washer.

This is what it looks like with 2 5mm spacers (10mm) between the hub and the rotor (2 or 3 washers).

Basically it starts to fit a little better the more space you make. Even with 10mm it's still not completely aligned.

Last edited by infinitebird; 11-27-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any new news on the use of CTS-V calipers and Camaro SS rotors?
will they fit 17 inch C-5 thinspokes?

looking for a good source of street rotors
Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toplessHO
any new news on the use of CTS-V calipers and Camaro SS rotors?
will they fit 17 inch C-5 thinspokes?

looking for a good source of street rotors
if you want Brembos for your 17" c5 wheels ATS Brembos will bolt right up to your spindles/stock brake lines. Spindle mounts needs bored from 12mm to 14mm, the only modification being needed to any components. Stock lines even work

A daily driver setup runs below $400 (shown below)... sky's the limit on pricing for more durable rotor/pad setup for track duty

Calipers
ACDELCO 172-2768 / 172-2777 $125 ea

Rotors
CENTRIC 12062146 Premium 325mm Disc $41/ea

Pads
ACDELCO 17D1050M $38/set

Slider Pins
ACDELCO 18K1971X $15/pair

Caliper bolts
ACDELCO 18K17004 14mmx2.0x40mm metric $3.86/pair
Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well already have the CTS-V 4 piston calipers

those rotors are 30 mm thick ,designed for corvette calipers not CTS-V

I thought this thread was about using CTS-V calipers and Camaro SS rotors?

just looking for a good source of rotors that wont warp like I'm hearing the OEM ones are.

thanks for the part #s tho
Old 02-14-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toplessHO
well already have the CTS-V 4 piston calipers

those rotors are 30 mm thick ,designed for corvette calipers not CTS-V

I thought this thread was about using CTS-V calipers and Camaro SS rotors?

just looking for a good source of rotors that wont warp like I'm hearing the OEM ones are.

thanks for the part #s tho
I posted ATS info because the CTS-V caliper won't fit 17" wheels.

OEM 5th gen SS rotors are good rotors for the money, pad selection is key. Warping actually doesn't happen, it's that pad deposits build on the rotors.

Best 1pc rotors you can get are probably DBA is you're really going to be taxing them. However OEM rotors have been used by plenty 5th gen owners for 1 or more seasons
Old 02-16-2018, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 2 different applications I'm doing BBK on
an 03 Blazer and 4th gen Bird
I'm going to stick with 17s on the Bird
and may go to 18s with a taller tire for the Blazer
I have C5 rotors/calipers,C6 rotors,CTS-V 4 piston calipers,and a Brembo EVO caliper and 2 piece rotor assembly (which Ive found a mate to)
currently looking at using the CTS-V calipers on the Blazer or if I can sell the CTS-V
calipers Ill get that Brembo mate from EVO and another rotor,have the hats redrilled and bored.No track use will be done on either just like to have good brakes.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Btw for everyone saying a 56mm offset won’t work with without spacers and longer studs with the CTS-V/Brembo’s

Spoke design plays a factor in it also. My 18x10.5’s fit on stock studs with no wheel spacers, plenty of room between top and bottom of caliper and the face has more than a few millimeters of space.

Last edited by King Nothing; 01-25-2019 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Nesi (02-23-2020)

Quick Reply: CTS-V Calipers and 2010 Camaro SS Rotors