Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tube vs stock front control arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tube vs stock front control arms

I've got a nice old 71 Trans Am car has fresh springs and sits up way too high. I'm thinking of putting coil overs in the front and wonder how much better the handling would be replacing the stock steel control arms with build up tube one.

I looked at the CPP and they are around 733 for upper and lower and I'm on a very tight buget as I just bought the car (but it's NICE)

also looking at the QA 1 coil over for around 400 at summit with a 550 spring. I have a 455 in there now (but also a nice 496 BB chevy that will go in soon)

in the rear, I have the 5 leaf springs and overall I want to "dearch them" and there is a place called R&R spring. car overall needs to be lowered 3" front and back to get where ride height is even normal

can the springs be dearched this much or am I better off replacing

car does ride pretty nice "as is" just sits up way too high for my taste

thx I know this is an "old school" car but hopefully the new f body guys will indulge an old hot rodder
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stamped steel arms are probably going to be loads stronger than any tubular design.. Not too important for uppers, but can be quite important for the lowers..

Cant you just use some lowering blocks for the rear?

If your going to drag race the car, the QA-1's will work.. If not, I would look into something more along the lines of Koni.. You will get much better ride and handling characteristics out of it for sure.

I would also look heavily into Global West.. They make some VERY VERY nice stuff for your car.. I believe Hotchkis also makes a TVS system for your car as well. Both would be good improvements for your car.. The Global West stuff being more for all out handling, the Hotchkis would be more of a ride/handling compromise.

Good luck either way you decide to go though!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the 455 in it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Check out http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/control_arms.html they have some awesome stuff for our second gens. If you want some handling from the car get some of their uppers with tall ball joints and if you want ot go a step further get their lowers as well along with leaf springs. BMR has some nice pieces as well for the front arms, and their torque arm suspension for second gens just looks awesome and I'm sure it performs well. Hotchkis also has some great stuff, speedtech, DSE, Heidts, Ridetech are all good stuff. The only thing stopping me is money, but that link should be the best bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: tube vs stock front control arms