Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm and lower control arm questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque arm and lower control arm questions

ive got a 93 z28, as far as i know, they have the same stock suspension setup as an ls1 camaro. im going to be getting the UMI lower control arm relocation brackets, and i also want to get a torque arm for it. with having the control arm relocation bracket on, do i need to have an adjustable torque arm? or can i still use a non adj one?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

You can run an adjustable or non-adjustable torque arm with the relocation brackets, either will work.

The non-adj. torque arm has some negative pinion angle built into it as well but is recommended for factory height cars. It will work on a lowered car as well but the adj. torque arm would be the better choice.

If I can help anymore please ask and I am glad too. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

You can run an adjustable or non-adjustable torque arm with the relocation brackets, either will work.

The non-adj. torque arm has some negative pinion angle built into it as well but is recommended for factory height cars. It will work on a lowered car as well but the adj. torque arm would be the better choice.

If I can help anymore please ask and I am glad too. Thank you!
Ryan

Why do you or dont you need to set the pinion angle? Does it have to do with traction?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
Why do you or dont you need to set the pinion angle? Does it have to do with traction?
Pinion angle does help with traction. When the height of a vehicle is altered (Such as lowering) the pinion angle or drive line angle will change, this a lot of times leads to poor traction, tire spin ect. Also some severe suspension adjustments can force the drive line angle to the point where vibrations can occur.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

I just went with an adj one. That way if you change the ride height later you don't have to go get another one. Also it's nice to be able to dial in the pinion angle even for a stock car if you're drag racing