Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Energy Suspension Hyperflex Kit QUESTIONS...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Energy Suspension Hyperflex Kit QUESTIONS...

Hey guys,

I've been redoing my entire car's suspension from shocks/struts, steering rack, upper and lower ball joints and EVERY bushing on the car. I decided to just pay a shop to have my bushing work done as I have a limited set of press tools and didn't want to bend any pieces by accident.

Today the shop calls me telling me that the kit is odd to them and that it has none of the metal sleeved inserts for the control arm bushings that the bolts pass through. I saw this as well and thought it was odd to not include new brass pins for the the bolts. They want me to come take a look as they are not familiar with aftermarket poly units, and that all normal replacements have the metal collar pins built in (this is what I would expect with this kit) but it's not there.

Am I supposed to reuse the brass/steel pins for the bolts to pass through? They gave me some line about how they were bonded to the originals and not ment to be re-used.

What should I do/say about this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

Poly control arm bushings should have inner sleeves. In this picture the poly bushings are two part. You apply grease, insert both parts, grease the pin, and slide it into position. They also come in one part, but generally poly type bushings do NOT have bonded sleeves.

The sleeves, inner and outer, on rubber bushings are bonded. Even if you could reuse them they are probably the wrong diameter, and will not fit properly.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Ok. I'll check with the shop but that beg definitely only had about 2 sleeves in it which is obviously not enough for 3 each lower requires and the 2 each upper requires. I'd expect to have 10 sleeves so it's just odd to me.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

This article suggests that for that kit, you do reuse some of the sleeves for the ES bushings.

Super Chevy: Along Came Polyurethane
Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

After finding out more, you are supposedly supposed to re-use ALL metal components from the originals. I don't really agree with using components that are worn and being pressed out and could be bent or damaged in the process. In my opinion, they should just include new sleeves and collars and charge $20 extra or whatever that cost is. These pieces are vulcanized with the old bushings and not meant to be reused. I'll keep reading and thanks for the help!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this kit, and it was horrible trying to get the bad old rubber bushings out of the metal sleeve to reuse it. It's such a horrible and cheap way to sell these things. Maybe if it was a new car, but after a while, you're not getting those bushings out of that metal sleeve.

I ended up selling my poly kit and just putting in new stock ones. definitely not worth the effort..
Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Energy Suspension < Dogshit

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension Hyperflex Kit QUESTIONS...