Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks binding after dropping K member

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks binding after dropping K member

So I dropped my K member to swap out my oil pan gasket and after I was done I noticed that the shocks were binding and not letting the car settle down on the suspension. While I admit it helped when installing some ebay long tubes I need to get the car back to normal riding height. What would I have to do to see if I can unbind the shocks? I only unbolted the bottom of the shocks when I dropped the k member so should I try unbolting it from the top to see if the shock would unbind?

The shocks are original and they should be replaced but my budget is a bit thin and I want to get this car back on the road. It has been sitting since last November due to a motor mount install that snowballed into oil pan & gasket, timing gaskets, timing chain, and long tube install. If I had to replace them I can't afford a full set of blistens which is what I want but is there any issue with just getting blistens for the front and leaving the back stock until I can get the funds to replace the back? I hope I can unbind the shocks and just wait until I can do all the shocks at once but nothing with this car seems to go as planned...
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Have you driven the car or had it alinged sense the K drop? Mine rode high in the front after a k drop and just driving it and have an alingment down fixed it up.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Have you driven the car or had it alinged sense the K drop? Mine rode high in the front after a k drop and just driving it and have an alingment down fixed it up.
No I have not driven it or had it aligned. I was afraid to drive it since I didn't think it would be safe. I didn't think I would need an alignment since none of the other suspension parts have been touched and dropping the K member shouldn't mess with the alignment since it can't be adjusted.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Yea just drive it around a bit and see if it levels off. My alignment was jacked after a K drop.

Quick Reply: Shocks binding after dropping K member