Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

which springs/shocks are the best???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which springs/shocks are the best???

I'm looking into changing out my springs and shocks etc on my 98 ws6 I have the stock rims but am eventually wanting to go with 11in wide rims in the back and still the 9.5 up front. I wanna lower the car but not slam it. Just a nice aggressive stance and its a daily driver and I dont really get on it but here and there. What would be my best option and why? i bought the car with eibach springs up front and just the stock setup out back....ya. Any info on this would be great! post pics also if you can!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

considering its a street car and you want to lower , Id suggest a Koni/Strano setup , or bilstein/strano if you want to spend less .. get rid of the eibachs ..
strano springs will give you a 1.25" drop so it wont be slammed ..

Last edited by cemlsx; 04-16-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cemlsx
considering its a street car and you want to lower , Id suggest a Koni/Strano setup , or Koni/bilstein if you want to spend less .. get rid of the eibachs ..
strano springs will give you a 1.25" drop so it wont be slammed ..
I imagine that second choice was Strano Springs / Bilstein shocks...

If you want to run big tires out back it might behoove you to go with a little more damping in the rear to help prevent rubbing... ie go with the Koni shocks.
(Admittedly there are going to be a host of other things that need to be correct to prevent that such as correct offset and correct panhard length or Watts link).

There are a lot of springs available. I would decide what your priority is whether it is looks, handling, or ride comfort, and then look at the various spring specs.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Launching!

^First I've seen a SOM Formula, very nice!

On topic, I plan to go with BMR Springs/ KYB shocks ( konis out of my range)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni/Strano, but I'm biased. Lol. You could also look into Bilstein/Strano or Koni/BMR or Bilstein/BMR.

Depends what your price range is. Koni's are the best shock out there but they are expensive. But, you know how the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Bilsteins are a great alternative though if you can't stomach Koni's.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoy my BMR 1.25 and KYB AGX set up. Strano's and bilstiens is another good set up.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good guys thanks. And i drive 80 miles round trip every day for work so comfort is gonna be my number one thing. Im a newbie to the fbodies so thanks for the help. Also i was reading like the different lbs like 550 etc....what exactly is that and how does it work?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're looking for a comfortable ride, your best get would be to stay stock height and go with a good shock. That will give you the smoothest ride. Lowering a car doesn't allow the suspension to travel as much so it will be a much firmer less comfortable ride.

Figure out if you'd rather the car look good but ride rougher, or look a little high, but rides smooth. My car on Koni/Stranos compared to my brothers SS with stock springs and Bilsteins is completely different. His isn't harsh at all really when he hits bumps, but when I hit a bump it can be pretty harsh, depending on the size of the bump. Of course, I live in Indiana so roads are ****. Lol.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I imagine that second choice was Strano Springs / Bilstein shocks...
damn it.. I should fix that

Last edited by cemlsx; 04-16-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

what about qa1's? are those any good? how do they rank compared to strano/bilstien/bmr etc etc also i have another post going labeled "what all do i need??" If you guys could go on there and answer some questions that would be great. THANKS!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by 243hunter
what about qa1's? are those any good? how do they rank compared to strano/bilstien/bmr etc etc also i have another post going labeled "what all do i need??" If you guys could go on there and answer some questions that would be great. THANKS!
No the QA1's are not in the same league to koni's/bilsteins. I know this for a fact but can not give technical information explaining why.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...6pdm0giouhnj94
Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

ok i looked up that link and they actually sound like they arent bad and the reason i say that is bc it sounds like its easy to adjust. I also looked at the springs and I saw 275 300 325 lb springs...can anyone tell me what that is exactly. I know you get what you pay for just like everything else damn near....so obviously the koni's are the best but I guess I want a little more explanation of WHY they arent even in the same class. is an easy answer bc they suck? haha
Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

hey if i go with the konis which ones should i go with? orange red or yellow?
same with bilstiens...which one?
Also, i need a new rack and pinion, wheres a good place to get one?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, depends on your budget. Koni 4/4's are on car adjustable front and rear. Koni 4/3's are on car adjustable in the front but off car adjustable in the rear. Both of these are known as koni "yellows" and are single adjustable.

As far as the bilsteins, either the HD's or the SLP tuned Bilsteins.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

More importantly the "koni 4's" for the rear are more adjustable. the "koni 3's" have three maybe four settings to choose from and that's it. If one of those settings aren't exactly what you want then you can't do anything about it. With the "4's" you can fine tune them a little more.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok i looked up that link and they actually sound like they arent bad and the reason i say that is bc it sounds like its easy to adjust. I also looked at the springs and I saw 275 300 325 lb springs...can anyone tell me what that is exactly. I know you get what you pay for just like everything else damn near....so obviously the koni's are the best but I guess I want a little more explanation of WHY they arent even in the same class. is an easy answer bc they suck? haha
I wouldn't say a shock is 'good' because it sounds easy to adjust. I would rather say a shock is good for its dampening ability.

As far as the reasoning for the koni's being better, i will see if I can get Sam in here to explain. I know this has been talked about before but i don't have any threads bookmarked.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Your solution, as is usually the case, depends on how much money you want to spend. I'm in to give you the budget perspective. I'd keep the Eibachs up front and see what I could find for a good price on the rear ... used or new: Strano's, Hotchkiss, and BMR's will all do the trick for you.

Shocks - great sale prices on Konis right now ... go with them with 3rd gens on the rear, or if you want to spend less, Bilsteins on the front and Koni 3's on the rear. Koni 3 rears are $100 ea. right now which is a great price.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

sounds like the koni's are gonna be the ones i go with...is it really that big of a deal to have on the car adjustables? And I would like to have it basically custom tuned if you will for how I want it to ride. also it seems like those strano springs sit a little higher...I almost cant tell that its been dropped. I wouldnt mind that so maybe I dont have to take my driveway at such an angle anymore! BUT I want it to have some kind of little more obvious drop. any ideas?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you don't understand the spring rates read around:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...e-newbies.html
Their "handling" spring rate is quite a joke considering most handling springs are 500+lbs/in. FYI stock LS1 springs are 292lbs/in and 1LE springs are 360lbs/in - so these "Qa1 handling springs" are softer than the factory 1LE option...
Any way QA1s are non-gas charged drag shocks, and also known for leaking. They offer shitty dampening (leaving you with a floaty, disconnected ride, while also being overly jarring and harsh on bumps) - which is great for weight transfer but horrible for anything else.

Sounds like you really need to search some more. Koni Yellows are the only ones available for 4th gens.
http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=20&ModelID=7

also it seems like those strano springs sit a little higher...I almost cant tell that its been dropped. I wouldnt mind that so maybe I dont have to take my driveway at such an angle anymore! BUT I want it to have some kind of little more obvious drop. any ideas?
I don't know what cars you've been looking at by Strano springs most definitely offer a 1.2" drop, here is my car before/after:
Attached Thumbnails which springs/shocks are the best???-before-after.jpg  

Quick Reply: which springs/shocks are the best???