Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rearend is sitting 1/4" off center. Big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rearend is sitting 1/4" off center. Big deal?

I did some measuring and saw that the Midwest fab 9 inch rearend is sitting 1/4" off center to the left. I also have a unknown brand, non adjustable tubular panhard bar installed as well. Not sure if its the fault of the rearend or the PHB but the car has never been wrecked.

Is this worth spending the money to buy an adjustable PHB to center the rearend or a total waste of money?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/4" off center isnt too bad, considering from the factory it could be off that much or more. Though as these cars suspention goes through its arch of travel the rear axle will move left to right. That being said with your body weight in the car the rear axle is going to move even further to the left. So if tire clearances are an issue then yes you may want to purchase an adjustable phb and adjust it with full driving weight the car normally sees on the tires.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
1/4" off center isnt too bad, considering from the factory it could be off that much or more. Though as these cars suspention goes through its arch of travel the rear axle will move left to right. That being said with your body weight in the car the rear axle is going to move even further to the left. So if tire clearances are an issue then yes you may want to purchase an adjustable phb and adjust it with full driving weight the car normally sees on the tires.
Nothing rubbing and it seems to drive fine. Just got curious and measured.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly I would recommend to just go ahead and purchase an adjustable panhard bar, the are very inexpensive to buy. I know I would personally like to have the rear end centered under the car and get an alignment and make sure the car will track nice and straight.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put an aftermarket adj. PHB and the rearend needed to be re-aligned because i was off center causing driveline vibration.
Make sure you are not measuring from fender well lip, i made that mistake.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
That's true. I had an '85 Firebird, bought it brand new, and put in a set of lowering springs a short time later. However, I didn't know any better, and since those rear end set-ups were still fairly new, information wasn't as readily available as it is now. My rear was off-center by close to 1/2" for a number of years after that, but the car suffered no ill effects.....

Quick Reply: Rearend is sitting 1/4" off center. Big deal?