Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Update

Here is a comparison of the Old vs New Design with a set screw added:

(Click Images for larger image)

Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my question to those that have them how often do you have to adjust the set screw if at all or can you set it and forget it
Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Looking at the recess it sits in, you shouldnt ever have to adjust it, since it physically prevents the thing from turning.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't have to adjust these often at all. We have them preset to a certain tightness. The only time adjusting is required is if or when the delrin lining inside would begin to wear. Once it wears you can tighten the adjusting ring in to apply more tension. This isn't often though since the delrin doesn't wear quickly.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Hmm, so I wonder if a Watts Link would improve the performance any of the roto-joint LCAs?

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
One thing to consider....Since the 4th gen F-bod uses a panhard bar to control the side-to-side movement of the body, the LCA have to travel in an arc that is defined by the PHB. Therefore the body and LCAs do move back and forth about 1/8-3/16" during normal suspension travel. If the bushings can't/don't flex, something else has to. That "something else" becomes the mounting tabs on the body and rear axle.

As much as I know the poly bushings provide more stability, they also "work" the body of the car quite a bit more than the OE rubber bushings do. Just something to ponder....
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We updated the design awhile back with a set screw that now locks the adjusting ring in place and prevents this.

If you have an older design PM me and I will take care of it.

As for Delrin, we have no issues using Delrin in the Roto-Joint, we are pleased with the performance of Delrin in the applications we are using it. The older style Roto-Joints are a locking issue and not a material choice issue.

Thank you,
Ryan
PM sent
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
my question to those that have them how often do you have to adjust the set screw if at all or can you set it and forget it
I agree with DietCoke & UMI Performance, you shouldn't have to adjust the set screw unless the Delrin bushings wear. In which case, you can loosen the set screw, screw in the notched side plate, and screw in the set screw again to lock in the side plate.

The set screw keeps the side plate from rotating and backing out which happens on its own as you drive due to normal suspension movement (which leads to rattles as the joint loosens up).
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
hmm, so i wonder if a watts link would improve the performance any of the roto-joint lcas?
x2.....
Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
One thing to consider....Since the 4th gen F-bod uses a panhard bar to control the side-to-side movement of the body, the LCA have to travel in an arc that is defined by the PHB. Therefore the body and LCAs do move back and forth about 1/8-3/16" during normal suspension travel. If the bushings can't/don't flex, something else has to. That "something else" becomes the mounting tabs on the body and rear axle.

As much as I know the poly bushings provide more stability, they also "work" the body of the car quite a bit more than the OE rubber bushings do. Just something to ponder....
This kinda shoots a hole in the foot of all that talk against the stockers. Given that with rubber they do absorb plenty of shock and that they are stamped in a U on purpose to allow for more flexibility also probably on purpose. This supports the guys that step up to 1LE/Moog quality rubbers.

I been thinking about the dual roto joints as well.....but not sure if the impact or noise levels are liveable with.....I wish I could find a more accurate description of both.

Founder performance has a set with johnny joints that uses poly on the swivel joint/rearend side but full poly again on the chassis side without swivel. Which is likely sure to not flex on the chassis side and also transfer impact. It seems like a dual johnny joint with poly or rubber would make more sense in all cases but no one has one. That would work towards full articulation at both ends with some impact/noise resisitance.

And if I can't get the best of both worlds for good street performance....these fuggin stockers keep sounding better and better vs. the price on some of these.

Between the stockers u shaped flexing and rubber bushings it probably comes fuggin close to full articulation. Im just saying we should have access to what we want.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by License2Ill
This kinda shoots a hole in the foot of all that talk against the stockers. Given that with rubber they do absorb plenty of shock and that they are stamped in a U on purpose to allow for more flexibility also probably on purpose. This supports the guys that step up to 1LE/Moog quality rubbers.

I been thinking about the dual roto joints as well.....but not sure if the impact or noise levels are liveable with.....I wish I could find a more accurate description of both.

Founder performance has a set with johnny joints that uses poly on the swivel joint/rearend side but full poly again on the chassis side without swivel. Which is likely sure to not flex on the chassis side and also transfer impact. It seems like a dual johnny joint with poly or rubber would make more sense in all cases but no one has one. That would work towards full articulation at both ends with some impact/noise resisitance.

And if I can't get the best of both worlds for good street performance....these fuggin stockers keep sounding better and better vs. the price on some of these.

Between the stockers u shaped flexing and rubber bushings it probably comes fuggin close to full articulation. Im just saying we should have access to what we want.
Here's my 2 cents.

We're constantly looking for good ride quality w/ increased performance for those of us w/ daily drivers. I think you're absolutely right on the rubber for the LCAs. The harshness that can be generated from a solid joint in that location on the body is a big deal to me which is why I won't replace the stock LCA rubber for poly or a rod end/roto joint.

However, I think rod ends have a place as I've had a double rod ended panhard on my car for 20K miles or so. This has made the behavior of the rearend immensely more predictable and planted. Just got roto joints in yesterday to replace the worn our rod ends which is the big reason for the johny joint/roto joint movement.

I think the roto joints have a place but you just have to be careful where you use them as they can definitely make the ride harsh due to the inherent nature that they aren't deflecting and absorbing impacts like the rubber bushings do.

Quick Reply: Roto-Joints