Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Steering

I have a 95 z28 and the steering is loose on it. I just put brand new inner and outer tie rod ends on it thinking this would solve it but it didn't. The play in the steering wheel is still the same as it was before. What else could cause the steering to be loose besides the tie rod ends?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine is loose too, i tried tightening the gear; didnt help. Ball joints and our tie rods are good. I suspect its my inner tie rods, subscribed
Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

I've noticed on my Camaro that the steering is real lite, no play or anything just the steering wheel turns real easily with very little resistant. It has had a different pump and stuff put on it but has always felt the same in the 6 years I have owned it.
Now on my Trans Am the steering wheel again has no play but is tighter turning then the Camaro and feels like everbody else's F body I have drove.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Mine has a pretty good bit of play in it. It will move a good 2-3 inches back and forth when going down the highway without ever moving the car.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Check the rag joint. They get heatsoaked and sloppy. I put in a rag joint eliminator and my steering is much tighter now. Google it.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaksi
Check the rag joint. They get heatsoaked and sloppy. I put in a rag joint eliminator and my steering is much tighter now. Google it.
I agree. Also, check the bolt that holds the u-joint in place, where the steering shaft attaches to the stub on the rack.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have an LT1, check the Rag Joint on the steering shaft (round rubberized fiber-cloth pad right in the middle of the shaft.)

If its an LS1, try tightening the rack, if that doesn't work, its likely in the steering column or the inner tie-rods.

Good Luck..

BTW.. Unbalanced Engineering is who carries the Rag-Joint Eliminator.. I HIGHLY recommend this if you have an LT1.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

I just looked at my rag joint and that looks like what the problem is. I will have to get one of those eliminator kits order for it asap. Thanks alot for all the help.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I put the Unbalanced Engineering part in my car last year...it's a good addition.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My $0.02...

Originally Posted by whitezracer
I have a 95 z28 and the steering is loose on it. I just put brand new inner and outer tie rod ends on it thinking this would solve it but it didn't. The play in the steering wheel is still the same as it was before. What else could cause the steering to be loose besides the tie rod ends?

Thanks
whitezracer -

Just like leadfoot4, I also put the Unbalanced Engineering Rag Joint Eliminator in my car; but I put mine in YESTERDAY - all I can say is:

WOW !!!

Last year, I had replaced the entire steering rack and also installed new outer tie rod ends, so every other part of my car's steering system was new, but the steering was still a bit "dull".

The Rag Joint Eliminator took it to the next level - it took that dull, non-responsive, on center "dead spot" and completely eliminated it. Oh, and when I removed my linkage, after inspecting my car's rag joint, I was sure it was NOT the problem (as the stock part seemed quite tight / not worn at all) - I was wrong. Now, the steering is point-and-go; it's perfect. You will not be disappointed.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

What would cause the steering to losen at speed on the ls1? Mine is tight and normal around town but out on the highway it has 3in slop from left to right. If it was the rack wouldnt it be lose all the time?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by great421
....The Rag Joint Eliminator took it to the next level - it took that dull, non-responsive, on center "dead spot" and completely eliminated it. Oh, and when I removed my linkage, after inspecting my car's rag joint, I was sure it was NOT the problem (as the stock part seemed quite tight / not worn at all) - I was wrong. Now, the steering is point-and-go; it's perfect. You will not be disappointed.
I agree. The rag joint in my car didn't look "beat" at all, but replacing it with the Unbalanced Engineering part made a very noticible difference.

Quick Reply: Loose Steering