Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front shock install..got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question front shock install..got a few questions

well i had a few days off in between spring and summer semester...so i decided to go ahead and install a few things ive been collecting:
-LCA Relocation Brackets (bolt in)
-Adjustable poly/roto panhard bar
-TA Differential Cover
-Hawks HPS pads
-autozone replacement rotors
-Bilstein HDs

everything in the rear went in without a flaw...no hiccup...no problems with rust...the front however...i finally got the stock shocks out of the car...and got the springs off the shocks...i swapped perches onto the hds...and now im in the process of putting them back in the car...and im really tired and have some questions

obviously there is a certain way they must go in in order for the lower shock mount and upper shock mount/upper a arm to bolt in correctly...how close do these have to be or will i be able to spin the shock into place

...also...is there a certain amount of thread that needs to be showing out of the top of the shock mount in order for everything to be installed correctly...

once i get those in...i get to make a run to autozone tomorrow to replace the front sway bar end links that both snapped on me....
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

You will not be able to spin the shock in place since the pressure of the spring will be pushing against it. Line it up first before you take the spring compressor off. Also when i installed my bilstein hds I just tightened the top, they are made to fit so it wont be a problem as far as how much threads need to show.

I had to replace the sway bar endlinks as well since they both snapped.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Teching In

I had to compress one side while it was on the car to line the lower holes up. I only did that so i didnt have to unbolt the top again. It was on the driver side and the bolt under the master cylinder is a B to get out and in.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Launching!

thanks for the help...i slept in a bit today (was definately worth it) and jumped outside and put the drivers side in no problem at all...

also i just unbolted the master cylinder from the booster and got to the bolts no problem

the passenger side should be no problem since i did all my "learning" on the drivers...then off to get sway bar end links

Quick Reply: front shock install..got a few questions