Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange Noises from the Rear Over Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i crawled under mine, yes lowered, and i think my rattle is where the panhard meets the pass. side bolt, the bolt moves within the hole. ill try tightening/bigger bolt/etc this week and see if it changes it any...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Here is the op's original post mr wanabe mod...what i dont understand is what did YOU add towards resolving his problem? or even sharing it in any kind of similarity?

Thread looks just fine and if ANY thread were to go off course then that means that no one could help but people got steered into talking about something ballpark or maybe nothing at all in common....but ur not a mod so what do u care?
#2 your post is actually the most removed from the subject entirely....everyone else shares some common ground with the op.
Your post is the most unwarranted and unsolicited. when u find yourself looking to post like this just ask urself if u have any common ground? can u input help or add to the same problem or similar? if ur answer is no and u want to just make some observation then remember thats NOT ur job. and go knit a sweater.

Listen man, I edited my response to you because I'm not typically the kind of person to attack somebody over the internet. We are ALL trying to be helpful to the OP. I neither meant, nor implied any disrespect to anybody on here by simply pointing out that it seemed like things were headed the wrong direction. If you want to get upset about it then...well...that's your problem and I'll leave it at that. Trying to disrespect me doesn't get the OP any closer to his goal, and I apologize to him for this unintentional hyjack just to clarify something so ridiculous.

To the OP - I hope you get it figured out. When you do post it for the rest of us please. Have a good day.

Last edited by RobRomero; 06-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

to the op, I have the same noise, (totally stock 2000 ws6 37000 miles) I can hear it easily when in town and the noise can echo back to me off of parked cars and such, I don't think it's serious but it is annoying on a quiet night, I can somewhat duplicate the sound if kick my right rear tire really hard, my first thought was the brake calipers, and I'm pretty sure if I ride my brakes over these bumps the noise is not there, but have not checked into it any further, but I will soon. maybe try slight pressure of the parking brake?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Well a little update, not entirely fixed but better, i noticed my catback had shifted a little bit and the tips were hitting the rear valence when it jostled around some, readjusted that and put some heater hose in between the passenger exhaust mount (to eliminate some of the play, there was a 1/4" gap between the rubber and metal holder for the rubber). I also lubed up that and the drivers rear mount with some silicone spray. I took the rear sway bar mounts off and lubed those good with white lithium grease.

None of this solved the problem but all of it helped cure aspects of the noises when going over bumps. Still have a thud kind of noise....

And I dont mind anybody posting their ideas or similar problems in here, maybe one persons fix will help another or lead to a resolution. No harm done by either tho or offense taken
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

I also lubed up my rear sway bar end links and as others have said, it fixed certain aspects of the sound but still have the thunking noise on a bump. Then the sound came back last week. I've been dealing with this for months! Sticky with any solutions that come up!

I have even been on other forums and although the same problem will be posted, no one answers.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strokerrace
put some heater hose in between the passenger exhaust mount (to eliminate some of the play, there was a 1/4" gap between the rubber and metal holder for the rubber).
This is what I did. It helped over small bumps.

None of this solved the problem but all of it helped cure aspects of the noises when going over bumps. Still have a thud kind of noise....
Still have the 'thud' over bigger bumps and dips also. I'm beginning to think that it's just how the cars were built. The heavy hatch, heavy exhaust, cheap plastic in the rear...then we add a stiffer suspension, which doesn't help. Not any one thing that's responsible for the noise but a combination of things....IMO. At this point, I'm out of ideas. Oh well...what are ya gonna do?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Get a louder exhaust so I dont have to hear that **** haha... Naw I guess theres nothing else I can do. Ill be redoing my rear sometime in the near future so I may try the c clip idea....that seems to be a possible solution....
Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

do u have aftermarket panhard? sometimes the bolts wear out and u need to get hardened ones....happened to my 97 RS/ sound was impossible to replicate and was super embarassing
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Teching In

I don't know if any of you guys are still having that clunk sound, especially when you apply your brakes at a slow speed,but I know after checking every nut and bolt attached to my undercarriage, I found that it was the two 18mm nuts, actually 4 if you count the top nuts that screw in the other side of your differential housing, that attaches the torque arm to the rearend housing. Place a socket wrench with a 18mm socket on the first nut located on the top of the rear diff housing, that will hold the top nut from moving while you use either another socket wrench with an 18mm socket or an open end wrench to tighten the lower nut. and use an open end wrench to turn tighten the bottom nut. This cured my clunk and actually, I have had to check it and tighten it about every 4 to 6 months! I know this is an old thread but this solved my clunking noise! I have a very low 02 SS and I swore it had something to do with the extra stress from it being dropped over 2" all around! I hope this helps, this is my first reply ever on this website so if I was too wordy or too specific, sorry
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did anyone ever solve this problem? I have an annoying sqeeking /rubber grinding sound coming from the back of my car whenever I go over speed bumps or pull in or out of my driveway ect.. I'm guessing it's my bushings that I have most likely never greased since I've owned the car
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Actually I did find the issue, forgot about this thread ha. Ended up being the panhard rod. Although the bolts on the ends were tight, I found that the part where it adjusts (aftermarket single adjustable) had play in it even with the nut tightened down causing that clunk over small bumps/crevices.

All of the people with this problem but I doubt its all the same cause, just effect.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it bad, sorry to bring this back up. If I push REALLY HARD on the quarter panel you can hear the rear knocking around. I wonder if that's it.the noise sounds like its right behind my head, near the back speaker. It's getting worse.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Launching!

I have a lot of clunking noise as well. I will check my double adjustable panhard as mentioned but mine started after my BMR extreme rear sway bar install. Started as a small tick when hitting bumps at slow speeds, which is expected because of the spherical rod joints on it, but now even cruising at 35 on smooth secondary roads there is a noticable steady clunking. Will have to get under the car and make sure nothing came loose after initial post install drive. Ill let you guys know what I find and maybe it will help you out. On a positive note, that sway bar is a beast and really stiffened things up in the rear and the car handles great. Time for stiffer springs.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Curious as to if you all found a common problem that it could be? Or did those of you that had the problem get if figured out? I have a 2000 model SS that is doing the same thing...
Any help greatly appreciated!
thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jtut90
I still have factory rear isolators just lowering coils, did it before and after the install of the lowering springs, my rear antenna is horribly loose tho I think that is my cause, I can literally take the antenna and spin it in a huge circle all the bolts somehow fell out, I will tighten it and let everyone know how it goes.
Has anyone given this a try? This is the only post that mentioned what I was thinking while reading this thread. YEARS ago I had this same sound and only over bumps. Drove me crazy. Till one day I went to hide my N2O bottle behind the plastic on the driver side of the trunk. (great spot btw) I took the plastic off and noticed that my antennae motor had come off its medal mount (the mount design is a joke) The whole time I had this heavy motor just swinging around inside the quarter panel. The top of the antennae kept it from falling through. So it was smacking the inner fender and bouncing off the medal tab it was supposed to be on (Which welds to the inner fender) I never thought to look on the passenger side when I could hear it behind me. But it is just a hollow tin can back there.

Once I corrected it I never heard the thudding rattle again.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:26 PM

I made a profile just to comment on this. So i have a 99 camaro a4 about stock and it has this loud noise in the left rear on bumps. being at a 100k with no wheel bearing play, a stock axle in the left Yukon aftermarket on the right[both measure the exact same with a micrometer] i decided to replace the wheel bearings and axle seals and fluid. after replacing the wheel bearing the noise went away completely for a few months but now its back so my next move will be to replace the left axle and bearing again. if the noise comes back after that im about positive i need a whole rear. just thought id post to see if this helps someone.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I still get this stupid clunking noise too, its really ******* annoying. I believe its either my aftermarket adj phb with 1 rod end or my bilstein rear shocks. Everything else has been replaced including the rear to a 9". Even swapped over my rod ended lcas with poly just to see and that wasnt it.

Quick Reply: Strange Noises from the Rear Over Bumps