Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframes and body tq. arm mounts and alignment racks don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Subframes and body tq. arm mounts and alignment racks don't mix

One question for you guys as I am running into this problem. How do you guys get your cars on a new style alignment rack with your f-bodies that have body mounted tq. arm (mine is a spohn with solid mount) and subframe connectors. The tq. arm mount is the main thing that is hitting, and I'm betting if the tq. arm is hitting then once that problem is alleviated the subframes will be the next problem. One solution a friend suggested was sticking a floor jack under the diff and jacking it up till its level with the front end and pushing it on the allignment rack. Comments anyone?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<< can't get onto local alignment racks without the SFC or body T/A . . . Need to make a wood ramp for the pansies so I can get my car onto their rack Nearly stock ride height 27.5" front fenders 26.75 rears
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boards, a bunch of them. If you're hitting the air lift assembly in the middle of the rack, sounds like a specific rack isssue.

Mine is spanked on its face, and I don't have a problem on any of the John Beans I've used. Approach angle was the only issue, and boards are the cure for that.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did alignments for over 30 years using Hunter equ and many times I used boards to clear the racks and several times the ayto would spin ,throwing the board out into drive way letting the auto set down on the rack with no damage to auto or rack, how ever a couple of months ago after installing a 9" in my car I returned to my old place of work to set rear thrust line ( been retired 4 years) I loaded my car with use of boards
( I am lowered 1 3/4 to 2" around) after completing alignment while backing off rack with use of boards I spun on one of the board kicking it forward which REMOVED 1/2 of my right front fended costing my INS CO $ 1600.00, all though the ins paid to repair car this was the first mark on my car after 11 years( I still cry about this )
good luck, be carefull
Johnny
Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Do any of you guys that replied have a body mounted style tq. arm? Approach angle is not the issue here, as mine is on the ground also with about 3-4" of clearance under the car and less than that under the tq. arm. It's the tq. arm hitting the air assembly in the middle of the rack. I am going to try boards, but the main thing I want to try is the floor jack (one with wheels) so that hopefully once its rear is in the air level with the fronts we can just push it on the rack and the jack will roll with it, I just hope it gets far enough on the rack to where it's supported under all four tires before the jack that is holding the rear end up meets the same problem the tq. arm was having at the air assembly in the middle or the rack. I am pretty frustrated as I went to 4 different allignment shops yesterday and couldn't get on a single one.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am body mounted style tq. arm, if you want to chance it with boards to get on the rack, lay more board on top of the rack for more room, this is the only way I can pivot the air jacks on the HUNTER rack where I retiarded,
in my neck of the woods there are several ground level pit racks also, but I want to do my car myself ( or I did before I lost 1/2 my front fender - see above post)
Johnny
Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Ok guys so I got some boards and I know I can get this thing on a rack anywhere in town now. The excuse I am getting from the shops now is oh well even if we can get it on the rack now we won't be able to get our jacks underneath it once it's on the rack. Is the cure for this more boards? I think I am going to have to make another trip to home depot...dammit!

Quick Reply: Subframes and body tq. arm mounts and alignment racks don't mix