Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano vs UMI sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano vs UMI sway bars?

Thinking about getting a set of sway bars and after searching, these 2 sets seem to be pretty popular. Is there much difference between the bars other than weight?? Any advantages of running solid bars vs. hollow bars in strength, etc. (I realize the WS6 factory front bar is hollow). I like the red in UMI but at the end of the day, I'd rather have the best of the best.

Also, I saw where UMI has a heavy duty aluminum sway bar mount kit. Is that something that I would need if I bought a set of bars or does everything you need come with the sway bar kit when you buy them?? Just not sure as to the purpose/advantages of the UMI mount kit. Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Launching!

well hopefully a sponsor will at least chime in
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard a lot of people choose Strano over UMI's, think ima go with Strano's if I get sway bars.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Not really much difference but the Starnos are hollow and the UMIs are solid
Old 05-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are hollows better?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Launching!

thats what im wondering. any ideas on the umi sway bar mounting kit if those are needed or not?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Email or call Sam Strano and he will give you every and any detail about the sway bars
Old 05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Are hollows better?
They are lighter (by quite a bit if I remember right), thats all. If you want to save some weight over the solid then go for hollow.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just reading about this. The Stranos will save you 20lbs as compared to the solid UMI's. They're the same size. 35/22, which is Strano's preference.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the ability of the hollow Strano bars, the guy runs them on his own car that he competes with, that says it all as far as I'm concerned.

If you're into weight savings, there's now other way you can save 20 lbs for only 70 bucks (IIRC Strano bars are 370, vs. UMI's at around 300).

And a can of red spray paint will take care of the Strano's too.

I don't get the obsession with red suspension parts though. I've seen the same thing in other threads, people going with one over the other because of color.

I LIKE the black bars, I don't need to see red standing out under the car. And I don't have the need for everyone to know I have aftermarket suspension parts.

I'm thinking about making this purchase too, and I'm leaning toward the UMI's (in black) because I'm on a tight budget and don't really care too much about weight savings....even though I know I prob SHOULD go Strano.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I was just reading about this. The Stranos will save you 20lbs as compared to the solid UMI's. They're the same size. 35/22, which is Strano's preference.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the ability of the hollow Strano bars, the guy runs them on his own car that he competes with, that says it all as far as I'm concerned.

If you're into weight savings, there's now other way you can save 20 lbs for only 70 bucks (IIRC Strano bars are 370, vs. UMI's at around 300).

And a can of red spray paint will take care of the Strano's too.

I don't get the obsession with red suspension parts though. I've seen the same thing in other threads, people going with one over the other because of color.

I LIKE the black bars, I don't need to see red standing out under the car. And I don't have the need for everyone to know I have aftermarket suspension parts.

I'm thinking about making this purchase too, and I'm leaning toward the UMI's (in black) because I'm on a tight budget and don't really care too much about weight savings....even though I know I prob SHOULD go Strano.
I don't race the car or anything so I really don't care too much about weight, but I was just wondering if weight only is the main difference or if the bars are bent differently between the UMI and Strano's.
I was reading a thread where quite a few people were complaining about the bolts not being long enough to start the nut on the UMI sway bars. That and the Strano's being lighter which might make them easier to put on has me leaning that way. Can you spray paint over powdercoat??? Only reason I was liking red is b/c my car is red and thought it would blend in nicely.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Both front and rear bar weight 20lb less or each bar ?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

both equal to 20 if im not mistaken , i believe it was a 12lbs difference with the front bar.. but dont take my word on it ..
Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

First let's get a few things on the record here.

Stock front bars from GM are hollow, rears are solid. Mine are both hollow. UMI's are both solid. My set vs. a UMI set is a good 20 pounds less, and we use very different hardware as well. They use what they use, I use what I prefer. This is where I add I sell UMI's bars as well as my own.

Back to the issue at hand. My front bar is heavier than stock, being that both are hollow and 35mm tube is bigger than 30 or 32mm tube (stock). But the difference is held down to less than 5 pounds more where a solid bar adds a good 15 or more depending on the stock size bar. My rear bar is 22mm hollow, stock is 19mm solid, I save about 5 pounds back on the rear (which is also unsprung weight we're cutting which is doubly good). All in all my bar set is pretty close to a stock set. View it how you wish, I "save" weight, or "minimize the weight gain". Bottom line is it's a small price difference to save a lot of weight vs. solid bars. Guys spend $100 or more on Chrome-Moly over mild steel to have 5 pounds!
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

umi rocks, but sam is an accomplished road racer who develops allot of his own products based on all of his knowledge and experience If I could I'd buy sam's springs, sway bars and watts link and UMI's relocated T/A, roto LCA's w/ relo's, 3pt sfc's & STB and a set of Koni's to finish it off. one day
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Launching!

I can`t speak for UMI sway bars in particular but UMI makes excellent products! However my Strano sways are amazing. Car feels much more planted and turns on a dime. I`ve only had them on for less than a week but they`re awesome!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I sell the entire line of UMI products, including their bars.

You'll notice the size of bars diameter wise is the same as mine, I just have no interest in making solid ones anymore because of the weight. Unlike many in this world, Ryan did the right thing and discussed it with me and asked if I'd be upset if he took over solid bars in the sizing I came up with. Because I deal with UMI (and they with me) and they've never done anything shady, I said sure.... after all, that still gives me the little bit less costly option for more weight too.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with with the hollows mainly cause "sam said so" In all serious over the 10 years or so I have owned Fbodies he has been a member of different boards and given great FREE advice, won many races and has a system that works.

My old car I had the 35MM ST bar, awesome but man weighed a ton. From a business view looks like UMI and Sam agreed to fill a gap "needed" makes sense and gives people options.

I like my strano bars adn their great and would get them, their provent and unsprung weight is bad juju.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by coolformula
I would go with with the hollows mainly cause "sam said so" In all serious over the 10 years or so I have owned Fbodies he has been a member of different boards and given great FREE advice, won many races and has a system that works.

My old car I had the 35MM ST bar, awesome but man weighed a ton. From a business view looks like UMI and Sam agreed to fill a gap "needed" makes sense and gives people options.

I like my strano bars adn their great and would get them, their provent and unsprung weight is bad juju.
Both seem like great products and it seems like you can't go wrong with either unless you want to save weight. Why is unsprung weight so bad, I'm not following that? I mean it's only about a 5 pound difference or so from stock with the Stranos. I mean 5 pounds does not seem like that big of a deal?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
Both seem like great products and it seems like you can't go wrong with either unless you want to save weight. Why is unsprung weight so bad, I'm not following that? I mean it's only about a 5 pound difference or so from stock with the Stranos. I mean 5 pounds does not seem like that big of a deal?
I'd have to dust off my handling/phsyics/suspension book to really get into detail but basically lower unsprung rate will translate into less linear momentum in the y-plane, and will allow your suspension to respond much quicker. make sense? if not try google maybe?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I'd have to dust off my handling/phsyics/suspension book to really get into detail but basically lower unsprung rate will translate into less linear momentum in the y-plane, and will allow your suspension to respond much quicker. make sense? if not try google maybe?
Yeah...I guess when everything is all bolted together it makes sense that less weight would help in faster suspension response.

Quick Reply: Strano vs UMI sway bars?