Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking rear suspension

I guess I might as well make a post on this, maybe someone has any idea.

I replaced my shocks, springs and struts in my car about a year ago. I put in KYB adjustables in the front and air shocks in the rear. The springs I have are Eibach extremes(I think).

Every once in a while on either corners or on medium acceleration I get a crazy *** sound from the rear driver's side of my car.

It kind of sounds like someone just hit hollow door with a hard heavy object.

It only happens sometimes and I looked for hours under my car and nothing looks out of place at all.

What gives?

It doesn't seem to harm anything, it also does this if I go over something like a large pot hole.

It almost sound like it is inside the car, or like something hits a lower body panel.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I think I figured it out.

It's not really a clunk. Well, sort of. I am hitting the bump stops during either acceleration or when going over bumps.

The bump stop on my driver's side looks beat to ****. And that is where I hear the noise coming from.

I figured it wasn't anything too bad. Just thought I would look into it since the wheels are off my car for a while.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Since you checked your suspension and everything checked out I was going to say either pump stops, or maybe your spare tire bouncing around in the rear (if you still have it).

I checked BMR and I believe they stopped carrying theirs. I did find some on Hawks Third Generation....you can buy one GM bump stop for $56 or a polyurethane pair for $120 Lol...for bump stops? The stops that BMR carried were universal "jeep" bump stops and ran for like $25.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...stopnewgm.aspx

Last edited by Tampa_97_SS; 05-25-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Clunking rear suspension