Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

no impact gun on rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say to use a torque wrench on your personal car especially if one is available However, saying that people in the field are doing wrong by using impacts guns is incorrect. Personally, out of the 1000+ wheels I've installed I haven't broken a stud using an impact while removing or installing a wheel. While I use a torque stick out of habit the 20+ technicians at my dealership use straight impact guns. I think if it was proven to be the root cause of rotor failure all manufacturers would have come out with a solution to prevent false warranty claims. I would like to see some evidence besides manufacturer rumor that using an impact gun causes rotor warpage. For instance, how much of a difference between lug nut torque causes the rotor to warp? I think this is a sore subject to me because a couple of years ago an old man got a tire rotation at our dealership and while the tech used a torque stick the gentleman drove 1 mile down the road (literally) then turned around and stated "the tech warped my rotors because he didn't torque them down". Needless to say we turned the rotors for free which had to have .025" taken off of each side and was a complete pile of BS. This situation is what sparked the torque stick phase of our dealership as opposed to 25+ years of not having them in the shop. Like I stated before, I follow the rules but I do see both sides of the fence and seeing someone use an impact doesn't phase me.

Quick Reply: no impact gun on rotors?