Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Kit

I was wondering if I can install a Wilwood C5 Corvette big brake kit on my 95 Camaro. The reason why I am asking is because the Camaro big brake kit has smaller rotors and I was wanting 14"+ rotors. The Camaro and Corvette share the same bolt pattern so I did not think it would be to big of a deal. I am also running 19" wheels.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would assume that you need the adapter brackets to run a caliper designed for a vette, just like any c5 or c6 caliper swap. That is why alot of ppl (including myself) have decided to use the CTS-v calipers with 14" rotors
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

I am looking for 14" rotors on all 4 corners and the CTS-V are only 14" on the front.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

I am going to call and see if it will work out.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let us know what you find.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont think it will work.. I do believe that all of the performance Wilwood calipers are radial mount.. They need the stock mounting caliper mounting points on the spindles for the brackets to mount to. The LT1 spindles dont have a mount that will work due to their caliper design.

You may however be able to upgrade to LS1 spindles and have them piece you a kit together.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

I am dropping the Wilwood brake kit altogether. It is amazing what a little research will do for you. I was researching the CTS-V brake upgrade and stummbled upon the C6 Z06 brake upgrade. So I am now looking into the front and rear C6 Z06 brakes.

I have seen the front brakes installed and it looks bad ***, but I have yet to see the rear brakes installed. If anyone has any pictures of the rear brakes installed please post them for me. I know there is a braket and you have to have a certain wheel offset for them to work. I guess it is a good thing I am ordering a new 12 bolt and new wheels so I can set it all up to work. If anyone has any info or pics I would greatly appreciate it. Oh yeah the rotors are 14" front and back so they will fill in the wheels nicely.

I also know the rotors for the front are both left sided so I am going to go with R1 concepts drilled and slotted rotors for the front and rear so there is no over heating issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

In all honesty and seriousness, the Wilwood or CTS-V kits will likely be a better performance option if thats what your looking for.

If your going for looks, it is hard to beat the C6Z calipers.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

The C6z06 brake set up is nice and I had really considered it, but decided not to do it because the brackets for the rears cost so much and only allow for a 3 channel set-up, not sure what you have, but just a heads up before you start piecing it all together.
Also there is a blue camaro that has both front and rear...cant remember the member's name, but if you search, it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

I am not planning on running ABS on the car so that is good. My ABS is a 3 channel ABS so I would be okay if I decide to keep it. I am not only going for looks even though they do look good especially in black or silver powdercoat with a nice looking sticker on some clear coat. I will also be running the R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors to fix the overheating issues of the factory rotors.

Is there any other performance issues I should be aware of. They seem like they should be a huge step over stock brakes and should be just as good as any other big brake system. My main reason is to fill up the inner part of the wheel. I do not like seeing nice wheels on cars with tiny rotors and 1 or 2 piston crappy looking calipers.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I cannot find the blue camaro and I have been searching for awhile. If anyone can find some rear brake pics for me I would appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the LS1 spindles first.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I am calling KORE3 tomorrow to figure out everything I need. I am really trying to see some pictures of a completed set and get their opinion on the brakes.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by REAPER13
I am not planning on running ABS on the car so that is good. My ABS is a 3 channel ABS so I would be okay if I decide to keep it. I am not only going for looks even though they do look good especially in black or silver powdercoat with a nice looking sticker on some clear coat. I will also be running the R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors to fix the overheating issues of the factory rotors.

Is there any other performance issues I should be aware of. They seem like they should be a huge step over stock brakes and should be just as good as any other big brake system. My main reason is to fill up the inner part of the wheel. I do not like seeing nice wheels on cars with tiny rotors and 1 or 2 piston crappy looking calipers.
The performance issues I was referring to was due to the individual padlets that the C6Z cars run.. They have issues with uneven wear or chatter under hard abuse.

Remember, a larger caliper/pad is not always an improvement in performance. The larger the pad, the cooler it will run. Pad size does not determine torque applied to the rotor.

Though, that being said.. almost anything is an improvement over the stock LT1 brakes.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...akes-pics.html
Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

I am going to go with the C6 ZO6's. I talked to someone (I don't remember his name) at KORE3 and we came up with a setup.

Fronts: http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10105-03

Rears: http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10346-03

Both will have the upgraded DBA 4000 slotted rotors. I still have not seen fronts and backs but I checked them out on a ZO6 so I guess it is comparable in a way.

I am going to have the calipers powdercoated black and leave the allen srews chrome and have a custom decal made for them and cleared over the decal for a nice finish. The should look really good when they are finished and installed.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks that makes me want it now but I have to wait.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kit